2018 version of:: App Name you entered has already been used

hello,

originally i went to ITC to create a new App but forgot to create a certificate, D'oh. created app id for that name, go back to ITC and get the app name taken.

how is this name taken by someone else if i was allowed to create an App/Bundle ID with the name?

i searched App store, iTunes and there are no current apps with the name i'm considering for my app.

thanks

Accepted Reply

app/bundle ID is the primary identifier on the backend. Any app name associated with it, is fluid. Best way to find out if a name is taken is to add an app and see if you can get beyond that meta data iTC step. Tip: If you like a name, and it's not already used, grab it...don't wait.

The reason you can't find a given name in the store is that someone has 'staged' an app with that name, meaning they've already used the name, but not yet gone as far as the store. Used to be a time limit on how long you could sit on a name before it was yanked back in the pool, but as usual, devs found a way, and manage to still hang onto ones they like.

Not a new practice, some wonder if certain names are squatted on like domains. Darker hearts accuse some squatters of grabbing names they never intend to use, in an effort to harass competitors. Branding, as always, is king...dilly, dilly.

Replies

app/bundle ID is the primary identifier on the backend. Any app name associated with it, is fluid. Best way to find out if a name is taken is to add an app and see if you can get beyond that meta data iTC step. Tip: If you like a name, and it's not already used, grab it...don't wait.

The reason you can't find a given name in the store is that someone has 'staged' an app with that name, meaning they've already used the name, but not yet gone as far as the store. Used to be a time limit on how long you could sit on a name before it was yanked back in the pool, but as usual, devs found a way, and manage to still hang onto ones they like.

Not a new practice, some wonder if certain names are squatted on like domains. Darker hearts accuse some squatters of grabbing names they never intend to use, in an effort to harass competitors. Branding, as always, is king...dilly, dilly.

As KMT indicated, someone is using that name. Try (if the name you want is "Name") "Name+" or "The Name" or "Name App"

I had the same question. Except, is there any way of contacting the person who holds the name to try to make them an offer?

If the app is in the store, you can always try making contact via the owner's support channel - otherwise, I'd not expect Apple to share that info.

Here's one approach -

If you claim that another app's name is violating your trademark then there is a formal process whereby Apple will facilitate an interaction between you and that other person. You may be able to use that mechanism to initiate a dialogue. I would add a note in your initial claim like "My trademark claim may not be valid - let's discuss - thanks"

Good point - Apple says this about that:

"If you believe your content has been infringed by another provider, submit a claim here."