Apple Simulator for Xcode9

The simulator for the latest Xcode9 takes a really long time to load even though it only takes up about 60 megabytes of system memory. Is there a good reason for this? Is apple trying to simulate the startup/boot sequence of an iphone as part of the simulator load?

Replies

Iphone simulator uses RAM memory from the computer, how much ram did you have?

you can install it too on your Iphone by pluggin into the mac and on the Iphone silumator select your iphone and run it, it should've install on your iphone and be able to run it

Seems you're not the only with questions surrounding current simulator performance. Feel free to search here for like minds, but I'd keep my expectations low on blanket solutions. Feel free to file bugs against the tools via the bug reporter link, below right.

8 gigs of ram. plenty for xcode and the 60 or so megabytes for the simulator. Like I said before, it's almost as if Apple is trying to simulate the boot sequence of the actual iphone simulator selected. This makes no sense. As a developer I'm not impressed by having to wait for 10 minutes for a 60 mbyte app to load up and run.

Yes I know that you can hookup an iOS device and run the code.

Also note that I leave the simulator up and running and hidden in the task bar. Which brings up another quirk about the simulator. You have to select hide the simulator TWICE until it actually responds and hides itself in the task bar. The first hide only causes the simulator to flash. This happens with or without xcode running.

I don't know how large an iphone 4 OS is compared to an X OS. However I have a feeling that the 4 takes a lot fewer resource than an X. With this assumption in place I would think that simulating a 4 would be a lot quicker than an X. What I'm seeing tells me this isn't the case since I see no noticeable load time differences between the latest bloated OS and an OS from 10 years ago.

Is there an option of receiving emails when new replies are made?

Not one that is reliable, no.