tvos app icon confusion

Sorry, the app icon for tvos completely confuses me. Whatever I do, I just can get an app icon in there.

First, I'd like to make clear something, so please answer this:

Must the app icon use the following layer structure?:

Front

Middle

Back

In the docs, there is nothing really stressing that issue. I am happily creating icons that look great in Photoshop w/ the LSR plugin and also the Parallax Previewer app.

I drop the exported .lsr file into Assets.xcassets, but there seems to be no way of just denoting that icon to be the Apple TV app icon. It seems to be incorrect to move the layers around inside of the assets folders after that.

Accepted Reply

Hey zappy,

The max amount of layers you can have in your parallax asset is 5. You can simply drop the asset (in the proper format outlined in the docs: https://developer.apple.com/tvos/human-interface-guidelines/icons-and-images/layered-images/) into your asset catalog for it to appear as your Apple TV app icon. If you don't have the folder for tvOS app icons in your catalog, follow the instructions below to add it.

Inside the asset catalog, click the plus sign at the bottom --> select "App Icons and Launch Images" --> and choose "New tvOS App Icon and Top Shelf Images".

Hope that helps!

- Alex

Replies

BTW I am experimenting with icons made in Photoshop, having 4-5 layers etc, and other layer names.

Hey zappy,

The max amount of layers you can have in your parallax asset is 5. You can simply drop the asset (in the proper format outlined in the docs: https://developer.apple.com/tvos/human-interface-guidelines/icons-and-images/layered-images/) into your asset catalog for it to appear as your Apple TV app icon. If you don't have the folder for tvOS app icons in your catalog, follow the instructions below to add it.

Inside the asset catalog, click the plus sign at the bottom --> select "App Icons and Launch Images" --> and choose "New tvOS App Icon and Top Shelf Images".

Hope that helps!

- Alex