Turn-based basic question

I am reading Game Center programming Guide

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptual/GameKit_Guide/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40008304-CH1-SW1

In a turn based game, the Current Player is the only one making move that will affect the game.

While the current player si playing, it is possible for other players to make move that only affect them, like moving card in their hand.

I am tring to choose between the new session way or the turn-based one. i think that most of the time, all player will be connected at the same time but it could be nice to have the flexibility of turn based.

I am builing a card game for my mother , so we can play while being in different city :-)

Replies

Been there, done that. The app is iPlayingCards. Enjoy it. My mother, of blessed memory, did.

A turn based game is limited, and easy. It's more fun to let anyone do almost anything and to transmit what they did to the other players. The issue is avoiding conflicts between the results of a move by different players. It's quite complicated.

An easier approach is a token based approach in which only one player has the 'token' and only that player can move. When another player tries to move they must first obtain the token from whoever has it. While possessing the token the player can do anything they want. The logic is simpler then the 'anything goes - but resolve conflicts' approach.

I though i would received an email when somebody answer. Good thing I came back to look :-)

I took a look at your iPlayingCards, wow You've got everything in there.

we will try it.

My goal is not to put the game in the AppStore, it is just for my familly ,

but i the same time, am having fun learning (which is curently a big problem for me, long story)

for now, the logic and view moving for one player is working ,but my code need a lot of cleaning and rearranging

i do have problem with game center but slowly, i will get there .

Thank. you