Detect if True Tone is enabled or turn it off

Is there a way to determine if the "True Tone" setting is active via an API? Or a way to turn it off?

I know there is UIWhitePointAdaptivityStylePhoto that you can put in your info.plist to change how true tone works, but the documentation for that says it "reduces" its effect, but implies it is still enabled.

We really need a way to turn it off entirely. This is important in medical imaging apps where you do not want the screen characteristics to change behind the users back so to speak. At the very least if we could determine if it is on we could instruct the user to turn it off in control panel (obviously not the greatest solution, but better than nothing).

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of dney Down vote post of dney
3.7k views

Replies

>but implies it is still enabled.

Correct - Loosely quoting off the 'net:

"TrueTone doesn't have to be on or off - app makers can specify what type of app they are making, and the OS will configure TrueTone accordingly. Photo sets it to "UIWhitePointAdaptivityStylePhoto" - which means "an app for viewing / editing photographs". This has the net effect of making TrueTone less aggressive, but not turning it off completely."

If 'off' is something you like to see in the future, feel free to file an enhancement request via Report Bugs, adding your report # to your thread for reference, thanks and good luck.

Note: Additional questions may be better addressed via thePhotoKit forum.

The interesting part about this, is that Apple, a company who seems to care a lot of user experience, color, look and feel.. really ignore the color critical apps that developers would like to develop. There are several innovative apps that individuals and companies could develop around color critical workflows - but sadly not possible IF you can't control what the colors rendered, the brightness levels etc.. etc... Again, I am just speaking about controlling these items within the app developed, not a global ICC or the like setting. There are several items such as True Tone and Night Shift and others.. but I really can't understand why don't allow developers to innovate and utilize existing hardware they have in the iphone. 2 examples: ambient light sensor (ALS) and xyz sensor. The lock these under the "SensorKit" and throw away the key. Unbelievable.