[Fairplay] does Fairplay support hevc?

Hi, As far as I know, HLS has supported hevc and fmp4 since 2017 WWDC. In the FairPlay Streaming Overview from FairPlay Streaming Server SDK (4.0.1), I also know that fairplay only support h264. However, the last update time of this document is 2016-06-24. So, I want to consulting that if fairplay also has support hevc ? Sincerely looking forward to receiving your reply. Thank you.

Replies

I also have this question. I have Fairplay working with fmp4 on Apple TV (tvOS) but not in Safari. We narrowed it down to HEVC. On a recent Mac with High Sierra, we cant get the Fairplay decryption working when using HEVC. With AVC and fmp4 it works fine. Unencrypted HEVC plays fine.

Is there a minimum required version of the Fairplay Server SDK required for Fairplay with HEVC?

-Thanks,

Marc

Hi Marc,

Glad to see that you got fmp4 encryption working with FairPlay. Apple said fmp4 encryption needs Common Encryption with AES-128 cbcs mode. But I couldn't find any Apple documents that specify how to carry FairPlay system id/PSSH, etc. Maybe I missed something here. Could you shed some light on that?

Thanks,

Kevin

Last WWDC we had a session that went over HEVC in HLS.

HLS Authoring Update

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/515/

I went through "HLS Authoring Update" from WWDC 2017. However, my question was about HEVC encryption in FairPlay and I didn't see any mentioning of how HEVC encryption should be handled in this video.

The content last year was spread out over two sessions. This is WWDC 2017, Session 504, iOS, macOS, tvOS, and adds on the above sesion.

Advances in HTTP Live Streaming

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/504/

HEVC is supported in hardware on A9 or better devices, and falls back to software on earlier hardware with iOS 11. When deploying it to an ecosystem where some devices can't speak HEVC you must mark your bit streams as HEVC so the devices that don't understand it can get around it. And the way to do that is with the CODECS attribute in your master playlist as you mentioned. You can mix HEVC and H.264 variants in the same master playlist.