Is GameCenter Leaderboard still being supported?

I recently added a GameCenter Leaderboard to my very simple SpriteKit game, and while it worked initially, when I put the game on Test Flight and it was tested on an actual device, it wasn't logging high scores.

Then when I tested it again in the simulator, I found it was no longer logging highest scores there either.

After a lot of Googling and I've found that a) there aren't many questions or tutorials out there about Game Kit that have been posted recently (2017), and b) a lot of people mentioned bugs and issues with GameKit that seemed to get fixed on a case by case situation ... either by contacting Apple about a live game, or GameCenter just magically started to log high scores again.

I know that Apple have taken out the Game Center App as of iOS10, and while documentation suggests Game Center functions (such as Leaderboard) are still supported (and iTunes Connect allows you to create them), I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of whether the issues are connected to Apple phasing out Game Center?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of lhsteele Down vote post of lhsteele
2.1k views

Replies

I don't think Apple are phasing out Game Center. They removed the Game Center app because they want the game center to be part of the games. The leaderboards and achievements are available directly in the games using the game center features, so the stand alone game center app is useless.

I too have experienced some bugs with the highscores not always sent to the game center. It's a bug and it looks like it's not a priority for Apple... 😟

Hi @aldra, thank you for your reply! What you're saying about Apple not actually phasing out Game Center makes sense, as the features are still accessible in code and in iTunesConnect, etc. It's also helpful to know you've been experiencing similar issues. I think I may try to implement my own leaderboard as I'm getting frustrated trying to work with GameKit ...

Thanks again for your input! :-)