We have an app designed to help victims of domestic violence escape their abuser... it's been denied because of the hidden feature. What can we do?

We've just completed testing for an app that allows victims of domestic violence to better plan their escape and document important information that they'll need once they do. In order to protect the user, the app appears to be a very innocent, genetic app that displays information that wouldn't be of interest to the abuser; that also gives the individual plausible deniability for having the seemingly-innocent app.

We just had it denied because the description doesn't reveal the hidden feature. However, we can't reveal that feature in the description because it would ruin the user's sense of plausible deniability and make it very easy for the abuser to discover (and stop) the indended escape.

How can we distribute this app? Initially, we thought we could keep it off the app store entirely and distribute it through our site and network of shelters and safe houses, but we can't find a way to do that (or is that the affiliate or enterprise program?). If we have to host it on the apple store, can we do it without tipping off the abuser?

Replies

This is weird- did all the replies disappear?

Perhaps some reviewer decided that the discussion was focused on how to 'get around' the guidelines rather than how to be creatively consistent with the specific expression of the guidelines while remaining clearly consistent with the intention of the guidelines.

That's possible. Fortunately, I got some great advice here (from you, I think? I'm terrible with usernames) that should allow us to stay consistent with the letter and intent of the guidelines while not putting the user in any danger. Either way, I appreciate your time!

Thank you for letting me contribute to something important. Best of luck.

Thanks, PBK. I really mean that. I think you saved this part of the program.

Dear OPSECProfessionals,

We are developing a similar app.

Are you able to share your advise?

I submitted a question yesterday about having an app icon that is different from the art in the store.

Thanks,

WJM