Same iPad model different behaviours

Hello all,

A few dozens people beta testing my new app that I am about to release. One of them sent me a video showing that as soon as the app is launched (the launchscreen correctly shows) there appears a blank white screen. And that’s all. He is running the app on an iPad 5th generation (MP2G2TY/A) on iOS 11.2. The weird thing is that I have the same iPad (slightly different model code though: MP2F2B/A) and we are running the very same build but the app works perfectly for me. Any idea of what is happening here? I can’t test the app on Xcode directly with his iPad because we are in a different continent.

Thanks

Replies

Different continent, you say? Perhaps you could replicate it if you set your test device to the same language / locale / time zone as your tester.

If that doesn't help, you may have to instrument a build (lots of NSLog so you can see what's going on, redirect stdout to your own file, add code to do something with the file such as display and/or email it) for that tester.

junkpile offered some good advice here. I’d also like to point you to Technote 2431 App Testing Guide, which contains a bunch of info about debugging problems that only show up in the field.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"