App slicing and universal app size?

Hello,

There is a similar post previously a while back but I didn't see any resolution.

My game is under the 150MB size for every device but somehow the "Universal" app is ~600MB.

The documentation states

developer.apple.com library content documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDistributionGuide/AppThinning/AppThinning.html

" Sliced apps are supported on devices running 9.0 and later; otherwise, the store delivers universal apps to customers."

My game is targeted at only ios 11 so the "Universal" app would never be delivered to anyone.

So I don't get why this "Universal" is so large and how do I remove the yellow caution symbol that says I should "App thin" .

Thanks

Accepted Reply

This thread has been deleted

>Is this going over Universal file size going to get it rejected at review?

No, that's well below the upload max, which I think is now 4 GB.

It will exceed the limit on size for apps that are allowed download via a cellular connection, which is 150mb.

Replies

>So I don't get why this "Universal" is so large

Does # 1 below apply in your example?

> and how do I remove the yellow caution symbol that says I should "App thin"

Are you saying that you followed the 5 ~ 6 steps in that link, but it didn't happen?

Slicing is performed during your normal development and distribution workflows, which proceed generally as follows:

1. In Xcode, specify target devices and provide multiple resolutions of images in the asset catalog. You must use the asset catalog in order for resources to be sliced.
  2. Build and run the app in Simulator or on a device. Xcode builds a variant of the app for the selected device type, improving the debug build time and allowing you to test variants locally.
  3. Create an archive of the app and export a variant locally for target devices.Test all the variants you export on target devices to discover configuration issues early.
  4. Upload the app to iTunes Connect.The store creates individual app variants from the archive. The number of variants depends on the architectures and resources specified in the Xcode project.
  5. In iTunes Connect, distribute a prerelease version of your app to designated testers.Testers install the prerelease version on supported devices using TestFlight. TestFlight downloads a variant of the app specific to the user’s device. Note: To test the variants that the store builds before you distribute your app to users, invite internal testers (your team’s iTunes Connect users) only and download the variants using TestFlight. If you invite external testers (users specifying only their email addresses), the external testers must wait for Beta App Review to approve the app before they can download variants.
  6. In iTunes Connect, release the app.Users install the app on supported devices, and the store app downloads a variant of the app specific to the user’s device.