Can't get sandbox tester accounts working

It's been a while since I've had to do sandbox testing for IAP on iOS. It used to be that sandbox testing a TestFlight app required this irritating process:

1. Create a sandbox user from iTunes Connect

2. Launch TestFlight and download the app that needs testing

3. Go into Settings and log out of the App Store

4. Launch the app and try to make an in-app purchase

5. When prompted, log in with the sandbox account from step 1

6. When finished testing, go into Settings and log out of the App Store. Then log back in to your primary Apple ID

More recently, it seems like Apple detects when your Apple ID is on the TestFlight user list and automatically treats your account as a sandbox tester account if so, making the above steps unnecessary. This is adequate for testing consumable purchases, but not for testing subscriptions, where we need to test more situations that can realistically be tested using a single account. So I'm trying to figure out how to get sandbox test accounts to work in iOS 11.

The directions on this pageseem to suggest that the process I outlined above hasn't changed. However, I have found that this process no longer works, because my step #5 is no longer possible.

When I launch the app, it asks me to enter the password for my primary Apple ID. This is even if I have logged out of the App Store. It does not give me any way to log into a different account. It's not a full login prompt where I can change the username; it only lets me input the password.

Because of this, I can't find any way to use a sandbox account created through iTunes Connect. Are there some new steps to this process that Apple forgot to include in the documentation? Is it no longer possible to use sandbox accounts created through iTunes Connect?

Replies

From skimming other threads, it seems like others are able to use sandbox accounts. Is there some trick to it that isn't mentioned in the Apple docs?