Rejected 4.2.2 - Design - Minimum Functionality

Apple just rejected 2 of our apps due to this guideline. These are apps that have been in the store for 5 years and this latest submission was a refresh update with new content. The apps are very well designed using the Adobe AEM platform. Previously, our apps were in the "Catalog" category but when Apple eliminated this category they moved us to "shopping". I would appreciate any advice, help, guidance in how to move forward as well as any experiences you can share related to this guideline.

My next step will be the official appeal process but based on information in this forum, it seems there is little hope of winning an appeal so I'm trying to better understand the guideline and ways to comply so that I can build my case.

From Apple:

We noticed that your app’s main functionality is to market your service, with limited or no user-facing interactive features or functionality. Apps that are primarily marketing materials or advertisements are not appropriate for the App Store.

I read carefully through the guidelines and they state:

4.2.2 Other than catalogs, apps shouldn’t primarily be marketing materials, advertisements, web clippings, content aggregators, or a collection of links.

The 2 apps we have developed ARE primarily catalogs that we no longer print but instead have turned into apps. Instead of an unruly 400 page catalog, we have a well-organized, searchable, easy-to-navigate app that our users appreciate so they can find the information they need. The apps present brand information, product information, features/benefits, specs and planning information you need to know before you purchase our products. They are used as a reference tool by our trade customers when specifying our products to their clients. You can download a PDF spec sheet of any product you are interested in to send to a client, an electrician, an installer, etc. You cannot purchase from these apps since our product is only available from dealers but there is a dealer locator. When there is a key change to one of our products, such as a dimension change that may impact an installation, we send a push notification out to users so they can plan accordingly.

I replied to the rejection with the above explanation and some screen captures but was rejected again.

I received a canned reply:

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

We understand that you may not agree with the feedback we have provided. However, to ensure App Store customers a safe and enjoyable experience, all apps must comply with the App Store Review Guidelines. We hope that you will make the appropriate changes to your app to bring it into compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines and resubmit your app for review.

Best regards,

App Store Review

So is Apple no longer allowing any catalog-type apps that include product feature-beneift / marketing information? If not, why does the guideline say "other than catalogs"?

Replies

Were you able to resolve this?

I just got off the phone with an app reviewer because I made it clear I was upset. But they are saying catalog apps are no longer accepted, which contradicts the reponse you were sent.

I and other developers are in a similar situation and its very fustrating. Anyone found a break through? This is an older source code that one of my clients (iOS & Android apps are add ons to our main ERP system) wanted to have rather than having our shopify integreate e-commerce app. Now since they already gave an advance for this app I have to modify this older source code? Just wow, couldn't they have had made a BIG annoucement?

This is really fustrating, we do have a source code I didn't touch that allows them to order/re-order and but this client doesn't have our CC processing add-on and now I have to force or sell them on it. In order to use this app, either that or I have to possibly add FB messenger feature (if possible) or add my store-locator back onto this App (which may or may not work)

Anyone else have success?

Apple is not only rejecting applications. They're also rejecting games as well. Not even simple games, they started rejecting complex multiplayer portrait games as well with that reason so called "Design Minimum Functionality". I think the app reviewers are not from technical background and they don't know how to write applications or games.

Unfortunately, we have had no success in resolving this issue with Apple. It is extremely frustrating. They are essentially blocking businesses/brands from creating apps that are fully meeting their customer's needs because they don't meet a functionality guideline that Apple has arbitrarily applied to ALL apps. We know our customers best, and we know what they need and what they want.

Perhaps if you talked a bit about how an app in the store is mandated by your customer's needs.

Is there a possibility a modern HTML5 website could serve those needs instead of dowloading from an app store?