tvOS, UICollectionView missing row on fast scroll

I have something similar to the Netflix Genre page which is built with UICollectionView that contains a set of UICollectionViewCells which then contain the individual poster art. This seems to be fine and if I scroll vertically, each genre row appears as expected. But if I enter fast scroll mode, occasionally on stopping, the row above or below the focused row will be "missing" from the view tree. This seems to happen more frequently when scrolling up towards the top of the list as opposed to down towards the bottom of the list. When I examine the view tree, I see the missing row has a placeholder UIView but no underlying data. If I scroll up and back, the missing row will appear and the view tree will have consistent data. It looks as though the cellForItemAt collectionView callback is "skipped" for this row during fast scroll.

I have tried disabling reloadData and that has no effect. Also, during the fast scroll, we are not doing any asynchronous data fetching.

Row heights look ok and are only set on load.

I am a newbie and any help would be appreciated as I have been crawling all over this for some time now.

Thanks