Region monitoring terminates after a couple of days

Hi,

I implemented region monitoring for my app successfully for what I can see. The app goes to background and comes app from time to time when a significant change of location was made. It starts up for ten seconds and goes down again.

But, some of my customers notify me if they stopped it for a while no more notfications are fired. That means I can see in log files the technic with firering the app for a location change works fine for weeks. But than one, day it stops and only bringing the app in foreground will restart the monitoring.

Can someone give me a direction what circumstance can have this kind of impact? It is obvious that it's not possible to grab a position if no geo location was catched, but why it isn't coming up again?

best regards

Benjamin

Replies

Hi Benjamin,

I observed something similar, but it seems to be related to iOS 11 updates, which actually disable region monitoring unless you restart the device manually after an iOS 11 update has been applied. There are similar reports on the net (I forgot where exactly), but other users and developers report that once an iOS 11 update (11.0.1 or 11.1 or even 11.2) is applied to a device, region monitoring stops working.

Sometimes it helps to disable and re-enable the location services, but for me only a restart of the device helps.

Maybe that fixes it for you, or for your customers, too.

Best wishes,

Stefan

hi totalidea,

I am trying implment geofence with wi-fi disabled and gps enabled. I want awake application in background. I have implemented code for that and created background task and enabled background fetch and location updates. as pet apple documentation it should work.

does apple has stopped supported for waking up app in background using region monitoring or am i missed something to add.

Thanks,

Devesh