How can I improve plane detection?

I'm working on an original iPad Pro 12.9" (model ML0Q2LL/A) with 128GB of RAM, running iOS 11.2 Beta (15C5110b). I've built several ARKit capable test apps in Xcode and Unity and I've tested my scenes in all kinds of environments (sunny outdoors, flourescent indoors, moderately lit indoors), and I cannot get the plane detection to lock in quite like I see in demo apps around the internet. Is there something I can do in the code or on my iPad to improve plane detection and get my objects to "stick" to the ground better than what I'm getting? Most of the time, my objects are jumping all over the screen, and other times, no matter what I do or how long I let the iPad detect the room, it won't even detect a horizontal plane for me to place objects. I understand that ARKit is in it's early stages and will only improve with time, but based on what I'm seeing other developers create, it seems like I'm missing something.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Replies

I was wondering about the same thing. Some apps like Snapchat are detecting planes very quickly and precisely, I am wondering if they are using an improved version of ARKit or their own solution.

I'm wondering exactly the same. We've been building ARKit apps using Unity and they also don't perform as well as other demo apps showcased online. I've also been looking for answers related to Snapchat since they indeeed have very quick plane detection that made me think they are not actually using ARKit. This is also noticeable in their Android version.