Why does my App Store icon show up incorrectly in the App Store?

Per the new requirement, I've embedded my app's App Store icon using Xcode 9. Unfortunately, the App Store renders it a muted gray color rather than the near-black of the original. Per the UI requirements, my icon is:

• 1024 x 1024 pixels
  • 72 dpi, RGB, flattened, no transparency, no rounded corners
  • High-quality PNG image file format.

It uses the RBG color space, "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" color profile, and starts off with a near-black background with RGB hex value = 0x121212. Yet, when I view my app in iTunes / the App Store, the icon is a muted gray. I downloaded the icon from the web version of iTunes and find the icon has moved into the "Gray" color space and the background is now RGB hex value = 0x4b4b4b.

What's particularly confusing is that prior to the requirement the icon be embedded in the app, I was using the same exact .png file but uploaded directly through iTunes Connect, and it rendered properly in the App Store. Now that I've embedded the icon in the app, I'm at a loss for how to get it to display properly in the store.

Has anyone else experience this? Anyone got ideas how to get my app's icon to display properly in the store?

Replies

Which device and iOS version are you using to view your app in the store?

Is there a specific reason you've not moved to Xcode 9.1 as of yet?