Does Airport Express or Extreme Base Station support DNS64/NAT64?

Hello!

There is a description here of how to setup a local DNS64/NAT64 network using a Mac. I would like to test my app for IPv6 compatibility, however, my Mac Pro is lacking a WiFi card, and I couldn't find one in retail locally. I am thinking to get an Apple Airport base station, but I'm not sure if it will do the job.

Could anyone please confirm whether Airport Express or Airport Extreme base station provides DNS64/NAT64 functionality?

Replies

Could anyone please confirm whether Airport Express or Airport Extreme base station provides DNS64/NAT64 functionality?

Apple access points do not support DNS64/NAT64. Does your Mac Pro have a second Ethernet port (most do IIRC). If so, you can use one port for your uplink and then set up a MacNAT64 network on your other port. Your iOS devices can join the MacNAT64 network in one of two ways:

• By adding an Apple access point in bridge mode

• By putting the iOS device on Ethernet [1]

I use bridge mode all the time. My main work machine is a MacBook Pro and that accesses the Internet via Wi-Fi. When I want to put an iOS device on MacNAT64 I do the following:

1. Plug in my Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter adapter to get Ethernet

2. Connect an Ethernet cable from that to a ‘victim’ AirPort Express

3. Set that up in bridge mode

4. Use Internet Sharing to share my Mac’s Wi-Fi on to the Ethernet and thence on to the ‘victim’ Wi-Fi

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

[1] Modern iOS devices support Ethernet via a relatively easy user configuration option.