tvOS: pressesEnded is called intermittently

I am creating a subclass of a UIButton, the reason why I'm trying to intercept the touch is because I cant seem to find another way to receive 'press up' or 'press ended' events for the standard UIButton in tvOS. If I could find a way to do that then I wouldn't need to bother with the solution below.

pressesEnded(_ presses: Set<UIPress>, with event: UIPressesEvent?)
doesn't seem to be getting called every time I release the 'select' button on the Apple TV Remote.

pressesBegan(_ presses: Set<UIPress>, with event: UIPressesEvent?)
is being called every time without any issues. I've attached my code below. Any ideas what could be causing this issue?

class EVLPTZButton: UIButton 
{ 
  var command: PTZCommand! 
  var delegate: EVLPTZButtonCommandDelegate?

override func pressesBegan(_ presses: Set<UIPress>, with event: UIPressesEvent?) 
  { 
    super.pressesBegan(presses, with: event) 
    delegate?.ptzButton(pressesBeganFor: self, with: command) 
  }

override func pressesEnded(_ presses: Set<UIPress>, with event: UIPressesEvent?) 
  { 
    super.pressesEnded(presses, with: event) 
    delegate?.ptzButton(pressesEndedFor: self) 
  } 
}

Accepted Reply

After some more testing it seems that when the 'select' button is released tvOS calls either

OR
pressesCancelled(_ presses: Set<UIPress>, with event: UIPressesEvent?)
. As to why this is, I don't know. There isn't anything that I am doing differently between each button press. Could be a bug in tvOS.

I found this solution by jumping to the definition of

and finding this comment:
//Your responder will receive either pressesEnded:withEvent or pressesCancelled:withEvent: for each press
//it is handling (those presses it received in pressesBegan:withEvent:).

Replies

After some more testing it seems that when the 'select' button is released tvOS calls either

OR
pressesCancelled(_ presses: Set<UIPress>, with event: UIPressesEvent?)
. As to why this is, I don't know. There isn't anything that I am doing differently between each button press. Could be a bug in tvOS.

I found this solution by jumping to the definition of

and finding this comment:
//Your responder will receive either pressesEnded:withEvent or pressesCancelled:withEvent: for each press
//it is handling (those presses it received in pressesBegan:withEvent:).