APNs Auth keys VS APNs Certs

Hello,

I wanted to ask a few questoins about the new Keys sections found on the developer portal, I understand that those APNs auth keys are alternative to APNs certs.

Now, does creating a new Auth key for APNs invalidate my exisiting APNs certs?

After creating a APNs Key, can I still create new APNs certs?

Lastly, how many APNs keys can I have at a time ? can there be multiple APNs keys in my account ?

Thanks,

Replies

> does creating a new Auth key for APNs invalidate my exisiting APNs certs?

No.

> After creating a APNs Key, can I still create new APNs certs?

Yes.

> how many APNs keys can I have at a time? can there be multiple APNs keys in my account?

I'm not aware of any specific limit, but you can—by design!—certainly have multiple keys. One tricky thing is that keys give access to ALL APNs topics associated with your team, though, so using multiple keys for access control isn't entirely without drawbacks.

Thank you for the answers, it confirms with my understanding since im new to this topic.

regarding the last point about multiple keys,

my goal is to create a key instead of a cert for APNs for one of my apps while the rest use either a differnet key /or certificate(old way).

I know when my provider sends to APNS they include in the request header the apns-topics which is my app bundle ID

with auth keys, do i must put the team ID? can i put the Bundle ID instead to allow this topic only to recevice push?

Would I be able to achive that ?

Thanks

> my goal is to create a key instead of a cert for APNs for one of my apps while the rest use either a differnet key /or certificate(old way).

That should work, but bear in mind that the key will still provide access to all apps associated with your team.

> with auth keys, do i must put the team ID?

Yes. The team ID is included in the authentication token itself as the "issuer" in the JWT claims section. Your push notification library should take care of this for you. Please note that the team ID only serves to identify the key and does not provide any kind of access control.

> can i put the Bundle ID instead to allow this topic only to recevice push?

I'm not entirely sure if I understand this question, but I'm pretty sure the answer is "no." Please note that you still need to specify a destination topic, and a push notification will only go to the named topic (i.e. it's not the case that it will go to ALL topics associated with the team). You could, in principle, specify any topic associated with the team/key, though.

After creating a APNs Key, I can still use APNs certs.

But, after revoke and create APNs certs again, it doesn't work.

Please tell me who knows about this problem.

does creating a new Auth key for APNs invalidate my exisiting APNs certs?
No

After creating a APNs Key, can I still create new APNs certs?
Yes

how many APNs keys can I have at a time ? can there be multiple APNs keys in my account ?
i was able to create max 2 only