Does Mac Mini Suitable for Development ?

Hello everybody

i wanna buy a mac mini but with a condition... does it support development environment ? could i develop via xcode or swift ? (more for iPad and iPhone development)

does its hardware suitable for this purpose ?

please guide me?

thanks in advanced

Replies

Hello Mohammed, I've been using a Mac Mini for OS X and iOS development now for over 2 years: I've had no problems that have been related to the hardware (as opposed to versions of XCode, OS X etc). Because I also use it for photo editing large raw files, I bought the higher spec model with an SSD drive and 8GB RAM. I think the SSD and RAM help with development tasks, especially where I have a lot of views and code.

I also use a MacBook Pro 13" with SSD and 4GB RAM for development and it's also fine, although a bit slower than the Mac Mini.

I have a 30" monitor (primarily for photography) on the Mac Mini and that really helps with large, complex storyboards (e.g. several view controllers and segues).

Regards.

is mac mini 1.4 GHz with 4 GB RAM enough to run Xcode 8 and simulator simultaneously?

Always max the physical ram in all cases. Remember, you won't just be running Xcode. Any mac that can run current macOS is otherwise capable.

macbook pro is slower than mac mini? really? , i use mac mini (1.4GHZ late 2014) ,it is much slower than macbook pro, sometimes the xcode will died , this never happened in macbook pro