I'm looking for distribution methods of iOS enterprise apps, where neither the public app store, nor MDM is an option. Custom B2B + VPP redemption codes seemed like out best bet, however a few questions came up that question whether this can be a scalable alternative:
- Limits on targeting: Does VPP allow to assign apps to non-employees via redemption codes? Are there any limitations on whom a license can be assigned to?
- Country assignment: I've read in this post (https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/211200) that a redemption code can only be used in the country's app store, that it has been generated with. Does that mean there is no way to have universal redemption codes for a free Custom B2B app that can be used in various app stores around the world? This would be a deal breaker for us, as target groups are usually spread throughout multiple countries.
- Future of redemption codes: Are redemption codes are a future-proof method that Apple plans to support for at least a few more years or would it be somewhat risky to plan a scalable business based on that?
- Limits for redemption codes: When buying licenses / generating redemption codes, there seems to be a limit of 25,000 codes per week. Is there any way around this? We do have customers with hundreds of thousands of employees that would plan to assign codes, as MDM is not an option with personal phones and strict data protection laws from worker councils.
- API: Is there an API for generating/exporting redemption codes from the VPP or is the spreadsheet export the only option?
- Ownership of VPP: Apple suggests that the developer submits the app as custom B2B targeted to a client, who owns an VPP membership in order to distribute to their end users (employees, partners, contracters, ...). So far correct?
6.1. Own VPP: Would it also be possible if the developer uses its own VPP program to directly distribute the apps to the end users of a specific client via access codes / direct links?
6.2. Agency VPP: Alternatively, would it be possible if the developer submits multiple apps to ONE agency's VPP, which distributes the apps to the end users of multiple clients?
- Availability: The VPP program is only available to 34 countries. Does Apple plan to support more in the future? Do you have any information on timelines?
Any help is highly appreciated, as documentation on some VPP details, specifically regarding redemption codes, is quite scarce.
Thank you very much!