Intro to App Development Playgrounds not operating

When I open up the Intro to App Development curriculum in XCode Playgrounds, everything seems to be commented out and none of the features like the next button work. Everything seemed to work correctly a few days ago before I updated XCode to Version 9.1 (9B55).

Any thoughts on a fix?

Replies

Here is a link to a screenshot showing what I'm seeing:

https://imgur.com/a/ebFdp

It looks like you have the playground in raw markup mode. You can go to rendered markup mode by choosing Editor > Show Rendered Markup (Editor > Show Raw Markup gets you back to raw mode).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thanks again eskimo!

edit

I don't know why but it keeps going back to raw mode when I go to the next page and come back.

QuébecMart

I see the same thing. In 9.0 all was fine. Now in 9.1, each playground page comes up initially in Raw Markup mode. In the Editor menu however, the option is labeled "Show Raw Markup". I select that: nothing happens except the menu item becomes "Show Rendered Markup". I select that, and now the page finally looks as it used to in 9.0 without having to do that same menu pick two times! It seems xcode is initially thinking it is in rendered mode but isn't displaying it as such. And as QuébecMart says this reverts to the original state when navigating from one page to another.

And, the darn thing still keeps crashing just due to my typing in a playground. So annoying.

I am having the same problem. I am using the Apple "Intro to App Development" playgrounds. They default to "raw markup" but despite that you must first click Editor > Show Raw Markup (even though it is already in that mode) then Editor > Show Rendered Markup for every page. If you navigate forwards or backwards, you must repeat the proces again.

Just for the record, this is being tracked as (r. 35333940).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Thank you eskimo for the input! I am having the same problem as mentioned above. Toggling to show raw markup then back to rendered markup seems to fix pages individually, but it must be done to each and every page for it to work. It's almost as if raw markup is enabled by default in playgrounds since 9.1.

I would love to know if/when there will be a fix for this. It is very frustrating. I just moved over to Mac development from Windows and am trying to work thorugh this course. I'd love to progress at a normal rate.

Thanks.

I would love to know if/when there will be a fix for this.

Alas I can’t discuss future plans here on DevForums. My best suggestion right now is to use Xcode’s key bindings feature (Xcode > Preferences > Key Bindings) to add a key equivalent to the Show Renderer Markup command so that you can quickly get out of the the raw state.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Hello Quinn,

ist it possible to roll back to XCode 9.01, until the issue is fixed, where the playground things were ok?

Regards

Mathias

ist it possible to roll back to XCode 9.01, until the issue is fixed, where the playground things were ok?

Sure. You can download old versions of Xcode from the developer downloads page. Scroll all the way to the bottom and then click See more downloads to get to the archive where we keep older Xcodes.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Thanks for the fix.

Remapped "Show Rendered Markup" under "Editor Menu for Playground" to option-R, which is not in conflict with anything else. Works fine, you have to hit it twice for each page to switch to "Show Raw Markup" and then back to "Show Rendered Markup." Much less trouble than using the mouse to do the same thing twice.

I didn't want to mess with the default bindings, so I created a duplicate binding set which Xcode called "Default 2" and added the new binding to this new binding set.

Thanks Eskimo.

P.S.: How'd you get the moniker "Eskimo"?

P.S.: How'd you get the moniker "Eskimo"?

It comes from the song. How I got it is something to be discussed over a beer at WWDC (-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”