iTunes Connect won't accept new HSBC UK IBAN

In July 2017 I got a letter from HSBC saying that the IBAN for my UK account would be changing on October 21st 2017 (today). My current IBAN begins with "GB23MIDL" and the new one begins with "GB60HBUK". I tried to update my banking details in iTunes Connect but it gives an error "Please enter a valid IBAN."

I'm guessing that the system has a big list of valid IBAN prefixes and it hasn't been updated with the new one? Or maybe it's an off-by-one error and it will work on October 22nd?

Accepted Reply

FYI, I've just received the following reply to my ticket.

"The issue has been resolved. The bank instructed our banking partner not to implement the update until mid November. You may now be able to update your banking."

Replies

Same here, my new IBAN starts with GB19HBUK and the system wouldn't accept it.

It might be something automated but I've just created a support case using Banking and Tax -> Entering Bank Account Information -> IBAN -> contact us, just to make sure they won't miss it. 🙂

I've had this too, and have also reported it. I'm guessing it's because not just the IBAN has changed, but the Bank Identifier Codes and Branch BIC codes have as well, but the sort code, accord number and physical branches have not changed. At some point they'll be looking up this connection and it just doesn't make sense according to what their database offers. Things like the BICs have changed, but nowhere on iTunes Connect can you enter this, so I suspect they're looking this up, and this no longer matches the new IBANs. Whether this is HSBCs fault by doing something non-standard, or Apple trying to make things easier and not dealing with this scenario is for now unknown. I've even tried creating/adding an additional bank account record in iTunes Connect and this also failed in exactly the same way.

IF Apple pay us from a UK bank account, which just uses the Sort Code and Account number, maybe this won't matter, but if they pay us using an international account it could be a disaster for those of us using the 'wrong' bank.

I didn't hear from my support ticket yet but today I've received a new letter from HSBC, confirming the change and new BIC/IBAN numbers. In the letter they've stated the following, in the "What we'll do" section:

If you're expecting any international payments into your account using your 'old' BIC and IBAN, we'll do all we can to ensure the funds reach your account as normal. However, please do ensure that you provide your new details to anyone who pays you from outside of the UK for all future payments.

So, I assume old details will work for a while. Should be enough for Apple to update their systems.

Same for me too, Apple won't accept the new IBAN.

I want to Amazon developer console to update their, they don't either. HSBC are rubbish! It said:

"IBAN number cannot be validated against the supplied BIC"

Getting the same here. Tried padding out the 8 digit HSBC account number with leading zeros taking it up to 10 or 12 digits and also not accepted, adding credence to the prefix being rejected.

Updating Steam was no problem. 😐

Guess we're waiting for Apple to do something, have used the 'contact us' and provided link to this thread too.

10 days have passed and this still isn't working. Other than the initial automated reply, I've not had any response from my support request. I guess we'll find out tomorrow if the old IBANs will still work...

I have received payment this month through old IBAN

huhu

Me too. So that resets the clock for another month!

Anyone get a response yet beyond automated "Your Incident has been received and allocated. You will be notified via email of the progress of your Incident."?

12 days now

Nope, they haven't replied to me yet.

I got a response from my support request:

"We are aware of this issue that is occurring with banking in the UK. Unfortunately, the banks are not reporting these updates to our global banking data provider in a timely manner. Our system therefore also is not updating. What is the grace period your bank is allowing for using the old IBAN? You can also provide me with your IBAN and I can decode it for more information."

All HSBC have said to me in their correspondance about the change is:

"we’ll do all we can to ensure the funds reach your account as normal. However, please do ensure that you provide your new details to anyone who pays you from outside the UK for all future payments."

I replied to the support person with that quote and told them I'm not going to send my full IBAN to them over the insecure communication method that is email. I re-stated my new IBAN prefix (which was in my original support request) and told them the remaining part is unchanged. They presumably have access to my account details so already know that.

It seems to me that Apple need to be chasing their "global banking provider" who, in turn, should be chasing HSBC. These changes must have affected huge numbers of UK banking customers and many, many payment services.

FYI, I've just received the following reply to my ticket.

"The issue has been resolved. The bank instructed our banking partner not to implement the update until mid November. You may now be able to update your banking."

I now get this message

Banking update in progress for bank account (***). So it can not be associated with US Dollar at this time.

--

"So it can not be associated with US Dollar at this time."??!

i saw this same thing, I think it’s just some confusing UI/UX. Wait a few hours / a day and your IBAN should be updated correctly. Of course, the real test is the next time Apple Pay us :-)