El Capitan Beta 3 Bluetooth

Just upgraded to beta 3 on my MacBook Air mid2012 11"

Bluetooth shows as not available now (greyed out icon with squiggly line).

Anyone else had the same thing?

Ideas to fix?

I've reinstalled beta 3, zapped PRAM

Replies

This issue is often sorted out with an SMC reset.:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

On MagSafe power adapters, the LED might change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried and it didn't work 😟

I'm having the same issue on a 24-inch Mid 2007 iMac. Installed beta 3 yesterday and this morning I couldn't get my Bluetooth keyboard to respond after waking the machine from sleep mode. Had to remote into it from another Mac and after doing so saw the squiggle over the Bluetooth menu item and "Bluetooth: Not Available"

I think you might be able to fix this by deleting the Bluetooth plist file and have the Mac create a new one:

1. Close System Preferences and/or any app that was trying to use or configure any Bluetooth device with the Mac
  2. From the OS X Finder, hit Command+Shift+G to summon Go To Folder and enter the following path: /Library/Preferences/
  3. Locate the file named “com.apple.Bluetooth.plist” and delete it
  4. (you may see a com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.lockfile too, if so delete that as well – this is a system folder so you will need to authenticate with an admin user)
  5. Head to the Apple menu and choose “Shut Down” to power down the Mac
  6. Wait a minute or so before booting the Mac again
  7. Head to the Bluetooth menu or System Preference panel to resync your hardware

This fixed the problem for me! Thanks Max108!

Thanks @Max108, worked for me (Macbook Pro 2013 15" Retina)

I am having the same problem. Bluetooth icon is grey with a white squigle through it. Tried PRAM, SMC, and plist removal with no impact. Currently running a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014). Funny enough, applications like Knock worked until the first restart i did after updating the machine to beta 3.

Thanks Max108! This worked for me as well (iMac Mid-2007 with BCM94360CD Wireless/Bluetooth mod), OS X El Capitan Public Beta Version 2.

Unfortunately, same issue here with my 2012 Retina MacBook Pro. None of the fixes above worked for me.

Sandy

Unfortunately, I have the same issue but none of the solutions above worked for me. Waiting for the real fix.

Regards

Thanks! This worked after I updated to beta 4 and my bluetooth didn't work. I am on a mid 2010 17 inch MBP.

Ok. After 24 hours. Tried everything and this is the only thing that solved it beta 6:

1. Restart and enter in recovery. Reinstall OSX. It will reinstall El Capitan Beta 1.

2. After Beta 1 installed, go to App Store and install every beta one by one until you reach beta 6.

** DO NOT TRY TO JUMP STRAIGHT FROM BETA 1 TO BETA 6 ** by using other methods.

Do each consecutive App Store update.

It's slow, but that's the only way I've got to not loose bluetooth.

Thank's Max108

Work's great for me.🙂

Agree all the way around to this...there's no shortcut to get from Beta to Beta+x...you just have to go one by one and let each installer do what it has to do.

I went through the betas in order. Now on beta 8 i lost sound (figured it out) magic mouse wont scroll and getting "bluetooth not available."

Tried all the suggestions without success