Bitcode is now mandatory in iOS 9 Beta 3?

It appears that having third party libraries in bitcode format is now mandatory as of iOS 9 Beta 3/ Xcode 7 Beta 3. If not how do I disable this? The third party vendors don't yet have a bitcode version of their various libraries.

Please tell me that I'm wrong.

Accepted Reply

It's the default now in Xcode 7 Beta 3. Can still be disabled by changing the value of Enable Bitcode to NO in Build Settings. Bought my third party library vendors some time.

Replies

It's the default now in Xcode 7 Beta 3. Can still be disabled by changing the value of Enable Bitcode to NO in Build Settings. Bought my third party library vendors some time.

According to the Xcode 7 beta release notes, missing bitcode in iOS was treated as a warning, but would eventually be treated as an error in a later beta build. I guess that time is now.

The notes still mention the ENABLE_BITCODE option, which you should be able to disable, no mention of this flag going away. Just be sure to remember to reenable it before you archive using the GM build of Xcode 7 and make sure to keep requesting your 3rd party vendors to get that library bitcode ready before then.

I have only begun testing at Xcode 6 Beta 4 (and now Beta5 ). I cannot see any Bitcode options in the project/target options, only a bitcode compiler flag added to clang durign the build by xcode.

Am I missing something or do I have to add a custom compiler option to turn it off?

( If it is indeed now mandatory, I assume that therefore building for targets < 6.0 is also not supported )

Project -> Build Settings

In the upper right there are two options- Basic and All. Select All.

In the upper right there is a search bar. Type 'bitcode'.

Took me 30 minutes to figure out something so stupid. IMO, searching should search all properties.