tvOS Connect via Network Troubleshooting

So I've had Connect via Network working twice before now my Apple TV. And twice it's decided to just stop working. The first time this happened I completely unpaired everything (1) in Remotes and Devices and (2) in Xcode's Devices by unpaing and deleting the device. Eventually I got it paired again. Took more work than expected.

Round 2. Went through the same steps, but this time with lots of restarting of the Apple TV. Finally got a successful pairing. I see the little wireframe globe next to the Apple TV's name in Xcode.

But now I get one of two error messages when building from Xcode (trying both 9 and 9.1 Beta)...

Could not receive a message from the device.

or

An error was encountered while attempting to communicate with this device. (End of file.) Please try rebooting and reconnecting the device. (0xE800000E).

Building succeeds. Says Running, but the promise of not getting up off the couch to test is slipping away.

Anyone have some ideas here?

Replies

I have the exact same problem! Did you find a solution yet by chance?

Cheers 😎

I'm also having a lot of trouble with this network connection deal. After I pair the devices, the remote connection works for that session. If I come back the next day, my laptop can no longer find the Apple TV 4k on the network 100% of the time. And then, even when I do re-pair it, sometimes when I load ld through the devices window, I'll get arbitrary "API error" or provisioning issues, even though I get no provisioning issues if actually debugging the build through Xcode.

Hi,

Thank you for your reports. Have you experienced these same issues with Xcode 9.2 beta and tvOS 11.2 beta? Either way, could you please file a bug report with a sysdiagnose from the Mac and Apple TV, and if possible include approximate days or times when you saw these issues?