Root certificate is not trusted

I'm creating a web application where the main purpose of the iOS app is to be a thin client that displays a web site. To protect the privacy of my users, only trusted devices should be able to communicate with the web server. I'm accomplishing this by storing a client certificate in the app keychain and sending it to the web server when the server issues a challenge. The following is the code where I send the certificate to the web server:

func urlSession(_ session: URLSession, didReceive challenge: URLAuthenticationChallenge, completionHandler: @escaping (URLSession.AuthChallengeDisposition, URLCredential?) -> Void) {

if (challenge.protectionSpace.authenticationMethod == NSURLAuthenticationMethodServerTrust)

{

let certificate = Certificate.RetrieveCertificate()

if (certificate != nil) {

var secTrust: SecTrust?

let secPolicy = SecPolicyCreateSSL(false, nil)

let status = SecTrustCreateWithCertificates(certificate!, secPolicy, &secTrust)

if (status == errSecSuccess) {

var resultType: SecTrustResultType = SecTrustResultType(rawValue: UInt32(0))!

SecTrustEvaluate(secTrust!, &resultType)

let properties = SecTrustCopyProperties(secTrust!)

let credentials = URLCredential(trust: secTrust!)

completionHandler(URLSession.AuthChallengeDisposition.useCredential, credentials)

}

}

}

}

I retrieve the correct certificate from the app keychain, but "credentials" gets set to nil and when I print properties.debugDescription in the immediate window, the output says, "Root certificate is not trusted." But the root certificate is installed on my iPad, and it shows up as a verified configuration profile in General > Profiles & Device Management.

Replies

What are the generated and expire dates on the root cert? Is it the newest one?