Apple must support Nvidia-based Macbook for AMD-eGPU KIT, No discrimination, NOT can Apple response

From 2012 to 2014, even before, Apple produced millions of Nvidia-based devices.

Since high sierra, Apple have officially supported eGPU only for AMD-based or iGPU-based devices.

Just for competitions between Nvidia and AMD, bad relations between Nvidia and Apple, Apple intend not to support eGPU for Nvidia-based devices, but Apple can fix it easily as long as they want.

In MACOSX 10.13beta4 and below, because of mac_editor’s hard working, there’s a compromised workaround. But from MACOSX 10.13beta5 and 10.13 official, Apple modified several hidden kexts of the kernel intentionally, so even a compromised one is not applied usefully. And Nvidia made the web driver totally non-functional for eGPU with black screen which apple official may just pop out eGPU notification but unconnected.

This should be solved long long ago by Apple, not considering Nvidia for the above reasons. But both did nothing!

IF Apple just for thunderbolt3-based devices, I will not grumble for this.

BUT you even support thunderbolt1 or iGPU devices.

THIS IS DEFINATELY DISCREMINATION!!!

At least, Apple totally completely could disable Nvidia-eGPU and turn Nvidia-based macbook into iGPU-based macbook, which is already an existed model.

This situation happened just because Apple never think about this issue severity.

PS: IF anyone Apple staff deletes my post, I will email Mr.cook again, Apple exective liaison from Mr.cook office just contacted me.

Replies

Doesn't look like any of that was deliberate. Seems the DisplayServer has to juggle a bunch of the compositor routing across GPUs, and it wasn't designed to handle all three. I agree that at the very least engineering need to support intel GPU fallback, disabling the internal NVIDIA driver and kext driver, and allowing the dev kit to work with the AMD part or NVIDIA Web drivers for full GTX 1080Ti powerhouse to work. DisplayServer needs to be made stable. Then possibly collaborate with NVIDIA's driver team to get their WEB drivers officially supported.

This is bat-@#$ crazy of Apple to reject efforts NVidia has made to support the VR ecosystem. Sure Metal 2 is harder to make work with Nvidia, but so be it. Let people working with the tech decide GPU acceleration stack. Metal 2 should win on its own merrits. But right now, real solid engineering needs to go into supporting eGPU if Apple wants to compete on the VR/MR/AI/Crypto fronts. The desktop with heavy-weight GPUs are where the real R&D is made.

I'm really bothered that my highest tier MacBook Pro 2013, which just happens to have a non-removable nvidia gt 750m part in it, is now left out of the eGPU party. That's very ironic.

yes, I have same macbook as you, 4960hq, 1t ssd, it's not conscious to replace it. As you said, at least, Apple should prohibit the boot of Nvidia GPU, this is the compromised way which they should do right now in case this issue become bigger ang bigger.

@pdm

This situation is bad for Apple, just for any unsayable reason, discriminate their devices by the type of graphices card, such as support AMD-based and iGPU-based, abandon Nvidia-based, I never ask immediately support Nvidia-eGPU, but Apple just do better for their own devices, not discrimination for their products. It's downgraded for Apple.

Under Sierra 10.12, any Macbook or iMAC or MACmini can handle two or there graphics cards with third-party script.

Looks like they're working on it, as you said they've marked your issue a duplicate.

So rather than hammer these forums, please give the latest 10.13.1 beta a try and report progress, I'd like to know!

I have tried high sierra 10.13.1 public beta 2(17b35a), same issue here.

What’s the 3rd party script called? I’d like to try it!

Under 10.12.6 and below, you can refer to the goalque's script at egpu.io.