iOS11 Screen Recording API

How is it possible to record your screen outside your app? (When app is on background?)

I can't find a solution for this, it seems that ReplayKit records screen only when app in foreground state.

I wonder how TeamViewer implemented their screen share new feature in ios11 ...

Talia

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of taliase Down vote post of taliase
8.7k views
  • We need to use "BroadCast screen extension" to record screen when App is in background but it stops after 30 seconds. How can we do? How we can use it event in background mode?

Add a Comment

Replies

With iOS 11, yeah you absolutely can. It’s shown on the WWDC 17 video. If you haven’t already, go to settings, control center and add the screen recording control.

Now from control center you can start a broadcast or recording. To configure which and choose replay kit provider just long press / force touch the control.

See https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/606/ for details. I think screen recording and broadcast uses RPBroadcastController.

This Developer session only talks about recording and broadcasting the screen of your app. The Kit that is used is even called "In-App Screen Capture". How can we capture the screen outside the app with this?

You didn't watch the right part of the video. The section on system-wide recording starts at the 12:05 mark.

The 2018 video also recaps this information, along with announcing the new things that are coming in iOS 12:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2018/601/

I am trying to screen record even when the app is in background, for the moment the user uses the 'screen recorder' and after they uploaded, but i want to do the recording automatically. I've tried with swift, replaykit -> startrecording, but it does not record the screen when it's in background. We can’t to want use RPSystemBroadcastPickerView.

Please give another solution to screen recording in background.

It's possibile to use Screen Broadcast upload extension with a background app? How i can keep the app in background mode in order to grab the system screen and use it for RTC connection...