iOS 11 Non-Renewing Subscription Purchases Not Working

Hi There,

On iOS 11 our App Store Released Non-Renewing Subscription purchases cannot be made. This issue began for our released app on Friday September 29th at around 1pm EDT for all our users across all versions of our app.

The issue does not occur with Consumable non Non-Consumable

The issue does not occur with Sandbox or Testflight Released Versions of the App

The issue does not occur on iOS 10.3.3 or Below

The issue is occuring on iOS 11, iOS 11.0.1, iOS 11.0.2 and iOS 11.1 Beta

Our app is only available in the Canadian app store.

The workflow of the Purchase goes as Follow

1. SKPaymentQUeue addPayment

2. Callback to updatedTransactions - State is now Purchasing

3. Callback to updatedTransactions - State is now Failed -> Error's localized description is 'Cannot connect to the iTunes Store'

As noted above only the Non-renewing subscriptions for iOS 11 users seem to be experiencing this issue.

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue or have any solutions to this. Since our production users are dealing with it we have lost revenue on it.

DTS told us to open a ticket with Bug Reporter, but no action seems to have occurred on our Ticket.

It seems strange that it began at a time when we did not release a new version of the app nor a new OS update came out. Based on this we are assuming that its sometime on the back end that may be causing this.

Thanks, Joe

Replies

I'm seeing the same issue in our app. I'm getting reports of this issue from customers in US and UK App Stores, and I can also reproduce it on my devices in the Canadian app store. However, it seems to only be affecting a fraction of our users running iOS 11.

Joe, if you have any updates on this issue please let me know.

Thanks,

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

Currently I have a DTS ticket open and a Bug Reporter ticket opened for this issue. I haven't seen any progress.

We did submit an app update using a new signing certificate in case there was a related problem to it but to no avail.

I hope we hear something from Apple soon as this is causing us to have a lot of unhappy customers.

Thanks, Joe

Re-tested on iOS 11 beta 2, the issue is still happening with the that build.

We are also having issues connected to this, although we have auto-renewable subscriptions. Users are reporting their purchases are not being unlocked (the receipt we parse does not contain correct SKUs) and also sometimes getting back 'Cannot Connect to iTunes Store' error after purchase went through correctly. This is costing us money, as users are canceling the subscriptions. The only way I could reproduce this issue on both Sandbox and Production environments is also when user changes from one subscription to another in the same auto-renewable subscription group. Even though the change is successful and user get "You are all set." message, the payment observer gets called with "Cannot Connect to iTunes Store" and failed state.

Small Update, Today for the first time in more than a week we are seeing a few transactions for one single SKU that we have as a Non-renewing subscription. These product started coming in at 10:32 am EDT. Perhaps there was an update on the Apple Side Today?

Although it is strange that a single SKU started coming in, we have 6 Non-Renewing IAP SKU's in our one app.

I may have stumbled upon the cause and a fix that is working for us. This all appears to be related to App Store Promotions. We had created Icons for the items so that they may be promoted and they were the state of 'In Review' under Promotion Meta Data in the 'App Store Promotions' left menu item. As part of trying everything, yesterday I had uncheck the one single item for the 'App Store Promotions' this SKU was the one that started working in my previous post. This morning early I unchecked a couple more items and now they are starting to show purchases coming through for iOS 11 (albeit a couple hours later, may be a propogation issue).

My reccomendation is that you uncheck any items in 'App Store Promotions' until the updated MetaData for the Promotion is Approved and not in the state of In Review or Rejected. Nontheless this was strange as it only started on Sept 29 and only on our Non-renewing subscriptions but we have found a way to actually have our revenue come back in.

-Joe

The issue appears to have been resolved for our app, at least on my devices. We're waiting for affected customers to confirm it's working for them as well. We didn't make any changes in iTunes Connect, the error just went away by itself.

We are also having the same issue both on iOS 10 and iOS 11. Can't reproduce it on Sandbox or Testflight. Half of our users affected. Have contacted Apple through phone, but they're very slow and couldn't get anything for the last 2 weeks. Anyone got any update on the issue?

Try to unckeck the app store promotions. It has worked on our side.🙂

We don't have any app store promotions. Is there anyway to uncheck them if I don't have any?

joefongo are the purchases working fine for you after Apple reviewed the Promotion Meta Data and you marked the App Store Promotions as checked?

Did you have App Store Promotions submitted and they got approved?

lantinos are the purchases working fine for you after Apple reviewed the Promotion Meta Data and you marked the App Store Promotions as checked?

Just want to say thanks, the workaround you discovered worked for us. Still trying to get Apple to acknowledge there is an issue / provide as fix as we'd obviously very much like to use App Store Promotions. I have a radar open with Apple about this: 34855128

Anyone ever heard from Apple on this? I'm also facing this issue and I have no App Store Promotions at all. I have never set one up so the problem must come from somewhere else.