HLS requirements for tvOS-Only Apps

Searched around on the official docs for a couple days now and I can't seem to get a straight answer on a couple things...

1. Does HTTP Live Streaming, always refer to "Live" streams. Like Facebook Live, real-time broadcasts? Or is that a catch-all phrase for any kind of video stored on a server that's delivered to the user.

2. If I'm making a tvOS-only app (keyword "ONLY", so cellular isn't an issue), is it suitable to just upload an Mp4 file, maybe host it on something like Amazon S3, and stream that to viewer when they tap a button in the app?

Thanks to those-more-in-the-know!

Accepted Reply

Crickets huh? I feel Jeff Goldblum. Are there any tvOS developers here in tvOS Developer Park?

So I'm still curious about question 1, but for 2, It's a moot point. I use Vimeo Pro and they actually create an HTTP Live Streaming link for you. Yup, complete with m3u8 extension and everything (note, I think this is a Pro only feature, found under Video File in Settings). But this in itself is worth the cost of Pro if I don't have to worry about converting the video in various ways myself.

Okay, I'm out. Wubalubadubdub....

Replies

Crickets huh? I feel Jeff Goldblum. Are there any tvOS developers here in tvOS Developer Park?

So I'm still curious about question 1, but for 2, It's a moot point. I use Vimeo Pro and they actually create an HTTP Live Streaming link for you. Yup, complete with m3u8 extension and everything (note, I think this is a Pro only feature, found under Video File in Settings). But this in itself is worth the cost of Pro if I don't have to worry about converting the video in various ways myself.

Okay, I'm out. Wubalubadubdub....

"Crickets huh? I feel Jeff Goldblum. Are there any tvOS developers here in tvOS Developer Park?"

Good point! 😉 But is there a better place for this kind of discussions, the TenForums type of thing, only for xOS? Couldn't find one... Anyway, I can't answer your questions but I have one for you:

As a Vimeo Pro user, can you programmatically open a playlist in the Vimeo app on tvOS?

I think you can. I haven't tried it but I know Vimeo has an API for that type thing. There's a guy that sells a Wordpress plugin that makes fancy Vimeo Players using playlists. So he must connecting one dot to another to make that happen.

"Vimeo has an API for that type thing" -- But does it work on tvOS?

I don't see why not. Probably just spits out JSON or XML which Swift can read in.