External GPU (eGPU) yellow screen of death (High Sierra)

Got my External Development Kit today and installed also High Sierra Beta.
https://developer.apple.com/development-kit/external-graphics/
Mac Pro 2013 (via Thunderbolt 2 using a T3 to T2 adapter).

Installation went ok and my Mac recognised eGPU.
Everything worked fine and tested also external display via eGPU.

Then I got some freezing and crashes with High Sierra.
I found out that cause was not propably eGPU because crashing was constant, even when eGPU wasn´t connected.
Reason might have been one app (Dr.Cleaner) that I did uninstall.
High Sierra did not crash after that.

BUT...now when I connect eGPU to Mac Pro, system freezes and external display shows just green screen.
Any idea what is going on, could eGPU be broken or someting?

HELP!

VJH

(UPDATE) 26.9.2017
eGPU seems to be ok, so it is issue about High Sierra.
Updated today from Beta to released version.

I have external second display (HP Pavillion 23xw) connected via eGPU (hdmi output & cable).
In safe mode desktop is extended to external display and everything seem quite ok.
There is some glitching going on when dragging windows, on both displays.

In normal mode external display shows just yellow/green (!?) and OSX freezes on start (Apple logo)

(UPDATE) 26.9.2017 12:07
Tried hot plugging eGPU.
Result: External screen (via eGPU) flashes yellow. Main screen (via Mac Pro thunderbolt) shows darg gray layer over login screen. Cannot log in.
Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro6,1
Version: 10.13 (17A365)
Processor: 3,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory: 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Startup disk: Untitled
Graphics:AMD FirePro D300 2 GB

Replies

macOS eGPU support is planned for 2018

https://www.apple.com/macos/high-sierra/

Virtual reality for Mac.
It’s a whole new world.

macOS High Sierra lets developers create interactive virtual reality experiences on Mac for the first time, using the new iMac with Retina 5K display, the new iMac Pro coming in late 2017, or any supported Mac paired with an external GPU.3 With optimized support for Valve’s SteamVR and the HTC Vive VR headset, and content creation apps like Final Cut Pro X, Epic Unreal 4 Editor, and Unity Editor, developers have everything they need to create immersive new worlds for you to explore.

3. Planned for spring 2018.

>Then I got some freezing and crashes with High Sierra.

Still in beta, so you might want to file bugs...be sure to add your report #s to your thread for reference, thanks and good luck.

Sonnet/AMD kit should be working with the latest High Sierra beta. https://developer.apple.com/development-kit/external-graphics/ "The External Graphics Development Kit includes everything you need to start optimizing advanced VR and 3D apps on external graphics processors with macOS High Sierra."

Update on this.

Almost working, but not yet!

Now I have updatetd OS to macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 beta 5.
Mac Pro recognizes eGPU fine, with no errors. OS is running ok.
When I connect external display into eGPU (with hdmi cable), display is extended to external display and everything is still fine.

BUT when I click anything (Finder etc) from main or external display, OS becomes then unresponsive and halts totally, until reboot.

I have reported this, hopefully will be resolved in next update! 🙂

Ok, now Apple declares that TBT2 is not supported.
So Mac Pro (2013) connected with TB3-TB2 adapter, will not work with Apple External Development Kit (eGPU), even though High Sierra should support eGPU.

"Apple Developer Relations

November 1 2017, 8:25 PM

There are no plans to address this based on the following: TBT2 not a supported config today. We are now closing this report. If you have questions about the resolution, or if this is still a critical issue for you, then please update your bug report with that information. Please be sure to regularly check new Apple releases for any updates that might affect this issue."

"Apple Developer Relations

November 13 2017, 5:02 PM

Engineering has provided the following information regarding this issue: The only supported config is a TBT3 mac with a TBT3 eGPU. Any config that includes TBT2 is not supported. That was announced at WWDC last year, and the story has not changed."

I have a simular error AFTER updating to macOS 10.13.2 (17C88).

MacBookPro 11,5 (2015) with AMD Radeon R9 M370X and Intel Iris Pro 5200, TB2, running macOS 10.13.2 (17C88)

Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550, GPU-550W-TB3

Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ 11265-21-20G 8GB graphics card

Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter

When I had macOS 10.13.1 running on my MBP everything worked excellent!

After installing macOS 10.13.2 (17C88)

- rebooting and reaching the login screen

- the display connected to the eGFX started going black then red and black red red etc.

- the MBP display got darker and unsharp and I was not able to click on anything

- the MBP fans started blowing louder and louder

When I disconnected the display connected to the eGFX the system went back to normal.

- the MBP fans went slower, back to 'normal'

- the MBP display lightened up and I was able to login

I checked the status to the connected eGFX, everything seemed to be OK.

After I connected the display again to the eGFX while being logged in

- the MBP fans started blowing louder and louder

- the display connected to the eGFX started going black then red and black red red etc.

- the MBP display went black and a kernel panic screen appeared

- I disconnected the eGFX display again and restarted the MBP

- after the reboot the MBP seemed to be OK

I connected the eGFX incl. connected display to my MacBook Air 2012 (TB2) with 10.13.1 and everything worked excellent.

I tried a couple of other things with the eGFX and the MBP but nothing worked.

Anyone having the same issue after updating to macOS 10.13.2?

Today I used a cloned macOS 10.13.1 on an external HDD and proofed it on my daughter’s MacBook Pro with TB2 and guess what, it works excellent.

Great for you!
Great to hear that TB2 is possible..
Mine does not work yet with Mac Pro Late 2013.
I have now official release of 10.13.2, but have tried every beta release too.