Distrubuting Unsigned Apps for macOS with Sandbox Enabled

Hello, I would like to distribute my apps for OS X made with Xcode 7.3 without signing them publicly over the internet. I've heard you can only use the sandbox feature if the app is signed. I don't have another Mac to test them on yet, so I'm not sure if the apps will work on other people's Macs yet. I will get a couple more Macs to test for backwards compatability later. I don't intend on subscribing to a Developer ID.

1. I have Signing set to None on the General tab.

2. I have "App Sandbox" enabled on the Capabilities tab.

3. Some of my apps will have some File Access and/or Network capabilities enabled.

4. None of my apps will ever use any of the other capabilities.

5. I select Product > Archive > Export > "Export as Mac Application" to generate the app file.

I know users will be warned that the app is from an unidentified developer, but will they still be able to execute the app after allowing it in System Preferences?

Accepted Reply

I got an old used Mac for testing on and the program worked on it. It is a version of OS X before gatekeeper, but the "codesign" terminal tool didn't say the code signing was broken and it could display the entitlements content.

Replies

I got an old used Mac for testing on and the program worked on it. It is a version of OS X before gatekeeper, but the "codesign" terminal tool didn't say the code signing was broken and it could display the entitlements content.