6 Replies
      Latest reply: Jan 27, 2017 7:14 AM by baraupp RSS
      bob133 Level 4 Level 4 (955 points)

I've heard people talking about them before, but exactly what does it refer to?  I think it refers to filing something on bugreport.apple.com; am I correct?

• Re: What is a "radar?"
          Max108 Level 8 Level 8 (5,780 points)

Radar is Apple's bug tracking system. It's developed in-house for use at Apple exclusively, and it tracks absolutely everything, from bugs to tasks to enhancements to features to problems with content to issues with IT, and anything else you can think of.

Apple's Radar system is also open to registered developers who can use it to file bugs or enhancement requests with Apple. External users have no way to know if an issue has been reported, so it's common to file an issue and then be informed that it's a duplicate of a previous issue.

bob133 Level 4 Level 4 (955 points)

You didn't answer my question.  My question is, "is it the same thing as the Bug Reporter tool?"

Max108 Level 8 Level 8 (5,780 points)

Yes, but the Bug Reporter tool is only the one public facing side of a more intricate collection hub - including vast amounts of data sent to it automatically by Macs running developer previews for example (unless you turn that off in System Preferences > Privacy). It has it's own ecosystem inside Apple but, yes, as far as we're concerned filing a radar is filing a bug.

KMT Level 8 Level 8 (8,660 points)

Ouoting from the 'net, rather than linking, since moderation to allow seems hit/miss"

"Apple's Radar system is also open to registered developers who can use it to file bugs or enhancement requests with Apple. Although Radar is reputedly very good when used inside of Apple, this is not generally apparent to users outside of the company. The frequent request to "file a radar" often sounds more or less like "forget it, buddy", because issues frequently go weeks or even years without so much as an acknowledgement or indeed any indication at all that anyone has even read the issue. This leads to the perception of the Radar system as being something of a black hole.

External users have no way to know if an issue has been reported, so it's common to file an issue and then be informed that it's a duplicate of a previous issue. That seems reasonable at first, but in practice it means that you'll never get notified if the issue is resolved."

And yes, it's the same as 'Report Bugs'

baraupp Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Actually, when people talk about 'Radar', they can also mean https://openradar.appspot.com, which is an public open bug database. When reporting a bug on bugreport.apple.com, you are encouraged to also copy it to openradar, so that other people can actually see what bugs have been reported.