How to run on device / debug Apple TV 4K?

With the Apple TV 4th gen I was able to debug on device by plugging a USB-C cable into my Mac like I would with an iPhone. However, the new Apple TV 4K does not have this option. In the devices and simulators window it doesn't appear that there's anyway to pair with it wirelessly. Is it possible to run and debug apps via XCode on the 4K Apple TV?

Replies

For those that were wondering like me check out about 7 minutes into this video and you'll have your answer: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/404/

ugh.. that ***** for me as one apple tv is on a wired network (in my living room) and the other is wireless but connected to a MacPro without wifi

Hey I think you missed the right part of the video – Apple have done a GREAT job here. You can still debug wirelessly with Apple TV 4K.

You have to watch the part 7min in as the original responder said, where they tell you how to use the "Devices and Remotes" setup in the TV to add your Mac wirelessly. It's easy!

Great job Xcode dev team!

I cannot discovered Apple TV 4K by "Devices" window in Xcode.

I have these Devices, Not discover Macs in two different environments;

• Apple TV 4K 64GB ( tvOS 11.0 )
  • iMac ( sierra 10.12.6 + Xcode 9.0 )
  • Mac mini ( High sierra 10.13.1 Beta + Xcode 9.1 Beta)
  • iPhone 8 Plus ( iOS 11.0.2)
  • AirMac Extreme ( firmware 7.6.1 )
  • All devices are connecting to the network via Ethernet. ( except iPhone 8 Plus that used Wi-Fi)
  • These devices are setting by Japanese Language.

The following work will be successful;

• Sound output via bluetooth from iMac and Mac mini.
  • Display Mirroring from iPhone 8 Plus.
  • Controling by Remote from control center on iPhone 8 Plus.
  • I could discovered and connect iPhone 8 Plus via Wi-Fi in "Devices" window in Xcode.

This is the work I tried, but cannot discover Apple TV 4K by Xcode.

• Be sure to check on my Apple TV 4K, go to "Remote App and Devices".
  • Turn Off and On Bluetooth all devieces.
  • Restart all devices.
  • Software Update all devices.
  • Change network connection by Apple TV 4K both of Wi-Fi and Ethernet.

Different software than Xcode, The only thing I can discover by Apple Configurator in the following work,

but it seems only discover and I can't pairing;

Apple Configurator 2.5 > Paired Devices list => Appeared AppleTV 4K name is displayed with "disconnected",

and no reaction is clicked name of Apple TV 4K and no pairing button comes out.

Thanks for reading. Is there anyone who is in a similar situation?

The main problem is dual wifi network. If you have setup your network with the same SSID for 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz, the Apple TV is connecting to the 2.5ghz while your Macbook is connected to the 5Ghz and this is enough to not synch the devices. 😐

Suggestion: If you can, change the SSID of the 5Ghz and try to connect again both in the same wifi. It worked for me.

Your response fixed to my problem but that is nonsense. Apple expect that Mac running Xcode and the Apple TV on the same network. However, they must add "and same network channel" to their instruction. Airplay run successfuly every network condition. I wonder that which ***** develop the wireless debug system. In addition there is no any type c connection to the Apple TV 4K.

Here's all you need to know: https://support.apple.com/en-us/101262