Fusion Drive APFS to HFS process stuck

I'm in the process of converting my iMac fusion drive back to HFS from APFS, following Apple's support instructions. I've created the bootable installer on an external drive, however when booting up with the external drive I get stuck at a screen showing me to turn on my bluetooth mouse. After turning on the mouse, I just get stuck with the same image with a spinning wheel underneath.

The bluetooth mouse does seem connected, but nothing happens after this screen.

Has anyone else had the same problem and was able to resolve it? Any help would be appreciated!

Accepted Reply

Just an update in case anyone else is having problems. I booted into Internet Recovery Mode using option-command-r and was able to erase my drive back to Mac OS journaled. I then ran the same process again following advice on another thread I’m now using Internet Recovery to install Mac OS Sierra. Once that’s installed I’ll download the High Sierra GM candidate after re-registering my machine and then finally boot into Recovery Mode again to restore my Time Machine backup.

Replies

I've had the same problem (Bluetooth trackpad wasn't recognized) and had to use a mouse with an USB-cable, eventually...

ffor some reason you wil have to use usb mouse keyboard any cheap one will do

Thanks for the replies - I hadn’t thought of that. Just tried a wired USB mouse in all ports and no joy - even though the mouse is illuminated so is obviously getting power. I’m stuck on the same screen.

Just an update in case anyone else is having problems. I booted into Internet Recovery Mode using option-command-r and was able to erase my drive back to Mac OS journaled. I then ran the same process again following advice on another thread I’m now using Internet Recovery to install Mac OS Sierra. Once that’s installed I’ll download the High Sierra GM candidate after re-registering my machine and then finally boot into Recovery Mode again to restore my Time Machine backup.

I have the same problem as you tried both the wireless and wired mouse, with no joy. Did that update process you describe work for you? Just wondering before I try

Hi,

Unfortunately no it didn't work! After reformatting my drives as HFS using internet recovery, I then tried to install High Sierra using Internet Recovery, but on rebooting my Mac only shows the circle with a line through it icon. I've a call scheduled with Apple Support tomorrow evening to try and get it fixed!

Thank you for responding. Ive also got knowhere, but I didnt attempt what you tried so Im still on the beta version. I'm thinking of waiting until apple provide an update which includes APFS and we dont have to go back to HFS, as neither wired or wireless mice work when you get to No5 on the update process.......juts get the view of the underside of a mouse!