Are all those valuable programming guides and sample codes removed in Xcode 9?

In Xcode 8 and before, the documentation window in Xcode provides various programming guides (like TableView Programming Guide and Core Animation Programming Guide) as well as sample codes, and I can bookmark them. But after I upgrade to Xcode 9, they all dissappeared. Are they really removed ? 😟

Replies

I have the same question. The Xcode 9 Release Notes states that the documentation browser is a new unified browser that integrates reference, sample code, and articles.

I don't see any sample code nor articles in the documentation browser – only API reference documentation.

In Xcode 9.0.1 (9A1004) you will find that neither of the "Developer Documentation" links will take you to the "new" documentation browser.

You can get to the new unified documentation browser with either of the two methods below:

From Xcode...

Menu selections are "Help > API Changes > Develop > Documentation".

From Safari...

URL is "https://developer.apple.com/documentation".

I don't know if you can get the new browser content locally.

It looks like the Guides are definitely gone from the documentation browser. All the guide links in the API reference are web links.

For example if I bring up the NSTableView reference documentation and scroll all the way to the bottom, there's a link to the Table View Programming Guide for Mac. When I click on that link, it kicks me to a web browser 😟

Hopefully this is something Apple just didn't get to in Xcode 9, rather than a conscious design decision.

I've logged a radar for this. Please dupe it if you want the guides to come back.

rdar://35059256