Replace in selection gone in Xcode 9?

Hi to all,

is the "replace in selection" feature gone from Xcode 9? I used to hold the option key, and "Replace All" would turn into "Replace all in Selection". Now it seems I cannot do this anymore.

Any tips, beside copying and pasting in TextEdit or stuff like that?

Thanks in advance,

Francesco

Replies

It's unbelievable that a sophisticated IDE like Xcode doen't offer this basic (yet *extremely* useful) functionality.

Are we missing something?

I came here for the same reason, where is this feature? I use it all the time.

Leave it to the XCode team to botch a simple but very useful tool. I mean, why would you just remove something like that?

Looks like the feature is still there but very bugged out. Look at cmd-e and cmd-shift-e (Find->Use Selection For find, Find->Use Selection For Replace). I can only get it to highlight yellow if I don't have any text in my find box and hit cmd-e while highlighted. Think this needs some more work Apple.

No, this is a different feature. Command-E transfers the selection in the "Find" text field (and Command-Shift-E transfers the selection into the "Replace" field). That's different from a "Find Within Selection" function.

My advice to developers running into problems like this is to submit a bug report, and don't waste a lot of time venting about it. Some of this may be oversights, or features deferred due to lack of time, or features available in some other form (but possibly not in an obvious place). The bug report makes sure the Xcode team knows what's missing, and — most importantly — votes on what missing features are most important to the developer community.

Bug report early and often.

Leaving necessary features up to democracy sounds like a terrible idea.

I can't get the core data inspector panel to show values so I can change values on attributes or relationships -- but hey I might be missing some trick ...

I understand the vote is from XCode team, not the community (but a large number of bug reports would show the problem is urgent).

So it's more alerting by community than not democraty.

IMHO, the problem is the huge number of bugs to handle and then the priority setting.

This is fixed, as of Xcode 9.2. See this post for details: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47254136/find-and-replace-within-a-selection-in-xcode-9