NEHotspotHelper .filterScanList command not firing on iOS 11 for some devices

Hi ,

We are seeing a issue in NEHotspotHelper is not firing filterscanlist command in iPhone 6s and below (iOS 11) as a result of which the networks are not getting annotated. It works fine on iPhone 7(iOS 11). It works fine on iOS 10 on all the devices. Could you please let us know what could be the reason ?.

We are using the following code to register and process command.

let options = [kNEHotspotHelperOptionDisplayName : annotation]
registrationResult =  NEHotspotHelper.register(options: options as [String : NSObject]?, queue: self.pluginHandler.commandQ) { (command: NEHotspotHelperCommand) -> Void in
            self.pluginHandler.processCommand(SMiOS9CaptivePluginCommand(command: command))
        }

Thanks in advance,

Sriram

Replies

iOS 11 has a bug in the hotspot helper subsystem that’s causing problems like this (r. 34157758). The problem seems to be intermittent, with some folks seeing it work some of the time, some folks seeing long delays, and so on. At this point we don’t know what’s causing this and so I can’t offer any input as to when this might get fixed. However, I’m pretty sure that there’s not going to be any sort of workaround that you can implement.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thanks for the quick reply. This bug is badly affecting our application as we have a connectivty client and showing the annotations is the core to our applications experience. Can you please suggest anything that we can do which can help us with this further ?😟

Thanks for the update. I also have this as an outstanding bug report (duped to the one you mention).

I also think it is a bug that when an annotated network gets connected, the annotation is usually lost. I have this as bug 33288110 which does not seem to have been acknowledged. Can you confirm if this is the expected behaviour or a bug (I guess related to the one above).

Sriram wrote:

Can you please suggest anything that we can do which can help us with this further ?

No, alas. As far as I can tell this is just one of those things that’s going to have to be fixed in the OS itself.

tumbler wrote:

I also have this as an outstanding bug report (duped to the one you mention).

Thanks for filing it.

I also think it is a bug that when an annotated network gets connected, the annotation is usually lost. I have this as bug 33288110 which does not seem to have been acknowledged. Can you confirm if this is the expected behaviour or a bug (I guess related to the one above).

Well, it’s expected behaviour in the sense that the code was written that way. Whether it’s correct behaviour is another matter. iOS Engineering is still looking at that based on your bug report.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

New bug filed which might offer some insight into the above issues.

Wi-Fi system got stuck in a scan and never auto-joined. Had to restart the device. Might shed some light into the system bugs discussed here

bug: 34790698

If there is any other specific testing this community can do on Wi-Fi please tell us. The issues with Wi-Fi in iOS 11 and Hotspot Helper are causing issues to those of us on the hook for supporting apps which use this.