Xcode 9 release version download/install fails???

Unable to upgrade to XCode 9 release version, released yesterday (20 Sep 2017)

I have tried to install through App Store Software Upgrades (3 times) Have tried App Store Purchased Items Update (once) have tried to download and install through my Apple Developer Account Downloads page (once) wasting 3hrs of time and 25GB of bandwidth. On each and every occassion package seems to download (5+GB) then simply reports 'there was an error, please try again' without providing any further info!

I'm running latest macOS Sierra, 10.12.6, I have, previously, successfully, installed and run a Beta version of XCode 9 (now moved to trash) so am left with absolutely NO IDEA why XCode 9 will not install on my iMac?

Anyone else having such issues?

Having to upgrade XCode is becoming a frought, and dreaded, task. Surely a more meaningful error message would be useful and not beyond the whit of the richest company on the planet!

Replies

How much free space on your SSD?

Repeatedly tried updating Xcode to Xcode 9 through app store but, every time, get this...

"Xcode faile to download - Use the Purchases page to try again"

So, as an alternative, have downloaded Xcode_9.xip through direct link on developer site, but, on unpacking after downloading, it reports...

"The archive Xcode_9.xip is damaged and can't be expanded"

So, will not unpack!

So, seems I'm stuffed!!! NO way I can upgrade Xcode to version 9????

hmmmm... If both sources come up damaged, it's got to be the network - have a different one you can use? Are you using a corporate/internal network?

OK, as another follow up, have contactedApple Dev Support on this matter. As usual, they were most helpful but, as yet, I have no solution to my problem. Waiting to hear back.

Further. After several attempts to download Xcode_9.xip from Apple Dev Site I finally managed to get a copy in my downloads folder which was not reported as being 'damaged' This copy passed verification and code sign check and then goes on to carry out extraction. But when progress bar of extraction process reaches about 30%, on each attempt at extraction, it crashes my iMac requiring re-boot

This is getting really frustrating, now spent a whole day and a half trying to install a single App. Particularly frustrating as a few weeks ago I'd installed a beta version of Xcode 9 with no problem at all! Aren't release versions supposed to be better, more stable, than beta versions?

Take it for what it's worth, but so far, you're the only one w/symptoms of a corruputed download, and it's been 3 days since Xcode 9 release dropped.

Can I ask where you're located, generally?

I was finally able to "unzip" Xcode_9.xip by using /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/Archive Utility

Double clicking Xcode_9.xip fails on my Mac because Archive Utility doesn't seem to be the default unarchiver!

I presume that this is also the reason that App Store install attempts failed.

The next question seems to be "How to make Archive Utility the default unarchiver, at leat for xip files?"

I think the answer is:

Select a .xip file in the Finder.

1. Open the Info dialog for that file (Right click -> Get Info).

2. Select Archive Utility from the Open with menu

3. Click Change all.

4. Close Archive Utility