Should I upgrade to xcode 9 or wait?

Hi,

I have an app that I've been working on for several months which is just about ready to go to the app store.

I'm concerned that if I upgrade to Xcode 9, I might face a bunch of new problems, such as my app not fitting properly on the new iPhone X screen.

If I upgrade but set my project's Base SDK to iOS 10, will Xcode 9 build it the same way as Xcode 8? Or is it advisable to delay upgrading Xcode until I have released the app and have time to deal with any potential changes?

Thanks,

Frank

Replies

>If I upgrade but set my project's Base SDK to iOS 10, will Xcode 9

I don't think that's an option w/Xcode 9.

If you're ready to pull the trigger on that app, you might as well do it now w/Xcode 8 and get it in the store, then take your time w/Xcode 9. If you're not in any hurry, then move to 9, trim it for iPhone X etc. and live large in the store when it's ready.

I was in the same position w/one of my apps, but after testing in Xcode 9, I think I'll commit to it and just keep going.

In any case, it won't hurt to at least test a copy of your app w/Xcode 9, just be prepared to stash Xcode 8.x when installing 9...the MAS will install 9 over 8.

Best thing to do is to keep both Xcode 9, and Xcode 8.3.3. Unfortunately when you download Xcode 9, it will overwrite Xcode 8.3.3 so you'll then have to download it again. In addition Xcode 9 destroys all the simulators in Xcode 8.3.3 so you'll have to open Preferences and chose a simulator you don't have in Xcode 8.3.3, and download this, this new simulator download will then restore all of your old Xcode 8.3.3 simulators. To get Xcode 8.3.3 to work with iOS11 just copy the library from Xcode 9's directory, and copy it into the same directory on Xcode 8.3.3, and now Xcode 8.3.3 will work with iOS11 devices. From this point on you can use Xcode 8.3.3 to submit to the App Store and test iOS11 devices, and once Apple fixes all the bugs with Xcode 9, you can then switch to it when your app works in it. There's numerous issues in the present Xcode 9 release, slow animations, interface builder issues, faceID doesn't work, the list goes on and on, in other words it's yet another low quality Apple software release.

Apple generally recommends you always use the latest version of Xcode available on the AppStore. Also note:

Starting April 2018, all new iOS apps submitted to the App Store must be built with the iOS 11 SDK, included in Xcode 9 or later. All new apps for iPhone, including universal apps, must support the Super Retina display of iPhone X.