Xcode 9 crash during uploading app to App Store

Hello,

In my project the Xcode 9 crashes during uploading to App Store (or exporting to disk, it does not matter). I have found that it may be caused by cocoapods, because on my other projects which do not use cocoapods this bug does not happen. However why I created post about it here on forums is the question if anybody has a temporary solution to solve this issue? Unfortunately it is not known when it will be fixed by Apple or cocapods...so...every help would be welcomed.

I have already reported this bug to Apple with the (shortened) log below.

Process:               Xcode [7494]
Path:                  /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/MacOS/Xcode
Identifier:            com.apple.dt.Xcode
Version:               9.0 (13247)
Build Info:            IDEFrameworks-13247000000000000~26
App Item ID:           497799835
App External ID:       823595305
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Xcode [7494]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2017-09-20 20:04:30.103 +0200
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.12.6 (16G29)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        9D0C9FF5-77EB-F94F-67E5-634E39EAE67B

Sleep/Wake UUID:       30F3DB44-C016-4799-AD07-A080AA633DE8

Time Awake Since Boot: 14000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       1500 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        14  Dispatch queue: ConcurrentQueue: -[IDEDistributionPackagingStepViewController viewDidInstall]_block_invoke

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000007fcb5ab5718
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]

Accepted Reply

So I had the same issue when submitting our app to the App Store. It was resolved after turning off the unsymbolicated crash option you see in the app submission screen (I have no screenshots unfortunately)!

Replies

Getting the same error.

Had the same issue. My short-term workaround is to (1) compile and create the archive on Xcode 9. From there, I used Xcode 8.3.3 version to upload to iTunes. App binary is currently processing so I believe it'll work.

Thank you for suggested solution, unfortunately this did not work for me - I am stuck with this error:

Unable to validate your application
The path 'var/folder/qq/6vh3hszj3f9_fswzz1snq4tm0000gn/T/XcodeDistPipeline.E4X/Packages/name_of_my_app.ipa'does not contaion a file.

Is there any solution available? I m still getting this error. Although with the newest High Sierra Release Build...

Unfortunately I haven't discovered a solution yet even on high sierra and nevest cocoapods...hopefully there will magically appear solution in next 3 weeks because some of us have to release new versions of our apps too. C'mon Apple...😕

UPDATE: Currently downloading Xcode 9.1 beta, but I am on slow connection so I am not able to tell if it is solved in this version.

i did not for me... maybe a clean reinstall of macOS 10.13 helps...

Ok the Xcode 9.1 beta also does not solve this for me. Please let us know if the clean install of macOS helps...

yes, after a clean install of high sierra i can upload the app to the appstore!

Thanks, probably not the best solution but the only one at this moment...

UPDATE: Ok so after clean install of macOS and Xcode the issue still persists. 😠

So I had the same issue when submitting our app to the App Store. It was resolved after turning off the unsymbolicated crash option you see in the app submission screen (I have no screenshots unfortunately)!

Oh my...one tick. You saved me! Thank you...

Thanks, I had the same issue and your solution worked. But I want to receive symbolicated crash reports from Apple. Is there any other solution? Is this a bug on apple's end or on developer's end?

Sorry to hear. Yeah, my fix was a bit hacky, but I've been able to upload 5 builds.

One thing I noticed is I'm uploading an .xcarchive file. Is Xcode9 able to complete your archive? (Product -> Archive Menu)

The accepted answer didn't work for me. I found the Xcode distribution logs by looking in my syslog (Console.app) for a line like this:

[MT] IDEDistribution: -[IDEDistributionLogging _createLoggingBundleAtPath:]: Created bundle at path '/var/folders/<blah>/something.xcdistributionlogs'.

I went to that location and looked in the IDEDistributionPipeline.log file, and it told me exactly what the problem was. For me, it was messed up permissions on the protobuf python2 package, which I never would have guessed. The Xcode crash is certainly a bug, however, since it should be able to present an error message.

I found a workaround which worked fine for me:

1. Archive App with Xcode 9

2. Close Xcode 9, open Xcode 8.3

3. Export .ipa with Xcode 8.3

4. Close Xcode 8.3

4. Upload to the App Store with App Loader (from Xcode 9)