Is it possible to share data between watch apps?

Is it possible to use App Groups or something similar to share data on the watch between watch apps? I have two apps that store similar data on the watch and would like it if they could use a shared directory, to save space and avoid them both transferring the same data twice. Thanks.

Replies

App Groups sharing is not supported since watchOS2. Use watchConnectivity or cloudKit.

Thanks but I'm already using WatchConnectivity to share files between the phone and the watch. What I want is some way for two separate apps on the watch to share the same files in the watch file system.

You can use CloudKit to share the same container.

You can share the data between the watch app and the iphone app. Then share data between the two iphone apps. Then share data between the second iphone app and the second watch app.

Sorry, I am probably not being clear enough. "Share" is a bit ambiguous but I can't think of a better word. What I want is to have two watch apps that have access to the same physical files on the watch. I only want one set of files that both apps can read. I don't want to copy the files because I am trying to save space on the watch. App Groups seem to allow such sharing between iOS apps, so I was wondering if there is something similar for watchOS?

Both my apps use a cache of data that could get quite large if the user wishes. If the user has both apps then it would be good if they could share the files to avoid transferring them twice and storing them twice on the watch.