App Store keyword rankings falling in iOS11?

I submitted an update for my iOS11-compatible version for my iPad-only app yesterday, inlcuding the latest-and-greatest APIs (drag-and-drop), and new metadata for iOS11 (2 App Previews etc). Before the update, the app used to rank 4th or 5th for a popular keyword that I used to track when searched in the iPad (iOS11) App Store .Now, after the update, it's ranking has dropped to 18th or something overnight, even below the first section of apps that loads up. The app is being out-ranked by several Chinese-only apps (in the US App Store), and many others that have 0 ratings/reviews and/or haven't been updated in a long time. My app has 4.8 out of 5 star ratings, out of 26 ratings for the last version, and over 4 stars over 975 ratings overall, and has been in the App Store since the iPad launched in 2010!

Anyone else have any similar experiences? How does this make any sense? Is there someone who can look into the App Store keyword rankings on a case-by-case basis to tweak the algorithms they have going?

Replies

I am experiencing something similar though not as severe. I have not updated my app yet, however, since the weekend I started to drop in search rankings. Did you change your keywords, app name, etc when you updated the app?

With app name reduced to 30 chars on new App Store, I experienced that if you move a word from the app name to app sub-title this produces different rank. I guess sub-title still index ranks but lower than in the App name.

Good to know. In my case, the keyword was still part of the app name. Not sure why it happened, but I filed a Radar, and they seemingly fixed the issue in a few days. Now the app ranks 2nd for the keyword, and all the old, outdated apps have been removed from the search results!