Cocoa + frameworks

I am a programmer but it has been sooooooooo long since I programmed anything with the App-Frameworks. I have noticed many methods are deprecated and the ususal formating that I knew has changed.

I want to get up and running with Objective-C and especially Cocoa, the basic frameworks. I just came from Lynda and her videos are outdated. I am now considering Safari Books Online but I need to get constuctive critisim from the Apple Forums. I am not a MEMBER of Apple Developer because I have yet to produce an application. Futhermore according to what one may get for being a member does not indicate whether a member will receive any long term training or re-training in Cocoa and the other frameworks.

Does Apple have comprehensive training on their Frameworks and Objective-C?

BugMage

Replies

Wow - I just came from Safari Books Online to look through their SEARCH. There are hundreds of new programming books written in 2017 but NOT ONE on Objective-C much less Cocoa. I did see some books on Cocoa and Swift for 2016.

Is something going on that I should be aware? Is Ojective-C being phased out? I hope not..

Does Apple have comprehensive training on their Frameworks and Objective-C?

BugMage

I think what you are seeing is that the folks who make a living selling programming books and tutorials bet heavily on Swift. The thing is, so much of the Swift tutorials and books are already out of date and may not even compile.

Is something going on that I should be aware? Is Ojective-C being phased out? I hope not..

I dk, I doubt it. Even though it is speculated by many that Apple will phase out ObjC, they have not said anything publicly to indicate that this belief is true, or if they would be able to accomplish such a large task anytime soon, and how doing that would actually benefit anyone, other than making developers scramble like mad men to rewrire their stuff.

Most of the ObjC tutorials, even if a couple years old are still good. They made some improvements to ObjC like generics pretty recently. If you are looking to learn ObjC (the syntax and everything) books even a couple years old should still be good for learning ObjC (but the samples may use deprecated APIs).

If you just want to know whats the new API to something that's deprecated, you normally can check the header file or documentation to find the "new way" to do something.

>>> Macho

Believe it or not, I am working 24/7 around the clock to overcome the learning curve - just to get started. I cannot believe there may be a status quo towards a resistance to change, maybe the big corporated programmer. There is not much out there to go on. I want to pass that information to you. Mac programming is dying.

The WWDC videos "What's New in Cocoa" "What's New in Interface Builder" and "what's new in Xcode" from the last couple of years you may find helpful.

Finding info for Mac programming has always been harder than iOS.

Thanks ;]