(When) will APFS be available for HDD-only Macs?

The release notes for the 10.13 candidate GM still say, "HDD-only Macs cannot be converted to APFS. (32360337)"

I have a MacPro with some really big spinny disks, and I was very much looking forward to a 21st centry file system. Is there a way to convert to APFS from my HFS+ encrypted HDDs?

Replies

Patience a virtue. I feel sorry for the beta users (as well as those that spent 4000 grand on an iMac hoping that the new file system would be ready this fall that for installation) that installed the beta on their iMacs that have Fusion Drives and now have to convert back to HFS+. I will wait and wait until Apple gets it right.

"as well as those that spent 4000 grand on an iMac" – 4 million dollars? Wow, that's one expensive iMac… 😁

Just kidding. I obviously know what you meant. Still funny. 😉

Does anybody know if this also applies to secondary HDDs? Apple's support document that describes how to roll back to HFS+ (https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/apfsfusion) only mentions flash drives and fusion drives, and only speaks of boot volumes. So I'm not sure if I have to roll back my secondary spinner (not a fusion drive, just your average grampa's oldschool, last-millenium HDD), or if High Sierra will stop recognizing the drive at some point if I don't.

I suppose it should be fine, as I'm currently running High Sierra GM on the system in question, and I still have full read and write access to that secondary HDD. But you never know…

I would have at least two Time Machine Backups for the conversion back to HFS+, just case. I have on two of my macs three drives backing up to TM that hold important stuff. My test beta Mac is an Air and if it crashes and destroys what is on it isn't important and my Mac Mini is ******* me off so I hardly use it and I even installed the beta on a seven year old mac to see if it could speed it up. It didn't, it is still as slow as it was with Capitain.

On my iMac 21" 2013 model with SSD running APFS I also have a 4tb thunderbolt drive concected to it which i converted to APFS which has all my iTunes libery (Music & Videos) as well as my parralles virtual machines and so far has not had any install issues or running isuses. with one exception The only problem I have run into is if it is attached and I start bootcamp assistant then bootcamp assistent will crash and to run it I have to eject it disconect it prior to running bootcam assistant. I think the APFS not suporting sping drives only affects the boot volume.