Can't open xcode; How do I fix this: This is the message I receive after logging into the Apple website using my Apple ID and attempting to open the zip file of the latest Xcode: “Xcode_9_GM_seed.xip” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified de

This situation seems absolutely absurd to me. I downloaded an Apple program to my Mac while logged in to my Apple account. Why am I getting this message and how to do I fix this problem?

" “Xcode_9_GM_seed.xip” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers."

Replies

Downloaded how? Did you download on the Mac using Safari, or something else? That error message is avoided for a downloaded file that has a certain extended attribute. Is it possible that the download did not complete entirely, so the attribute was never set?

The error message is coming from GateKeeper. In theory, you can bypass it holding down the Control key while opening the file. (Obviously, you can't Control-double-click, so hold Control down while you choose Open from the File menu.) However, if there is truly some uncertainty about the validity or integrity of the .xip file, forcing it to open may not be a good idea.

It might be preferable to try re-downloading, at least one time, to see if it completes properly.

Xcode is an app available on the Mac App Store. Loading any other version would be a mistake.

Xcode is an app available on the Mac App Store. Loading any other version would be a mistake.

Well that’s generally good advice there are a few exceptions:

• You can download any version of Xcode from Apple’s developer web site, which is useful if you want to test something with an old version.

• In mickeyfromnull’s case, they’re installing the GM seed of Xcode 9, which you can only get from the developer web site.

No matter where you get Xcode from you should let the code signing check run to completion and not proceed if it fails.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"