Application being rejected by nonsense

I write books for almost 2 decades and develop courses for iOS and MacOS for almost a decade. I have dozens of courses published not only on the App Store but worldwide on CD/DVD and other stores.

I have created a course about a software application. This course has about 3h in duration and at least 40 videos.

I have packed everything on a cool application. This application has a button where the user chan choose the lesson to watch and other buttons where the user can have tips about the application and see a detailed explanation about the lessons.

Have in mind that users downloading this app expects to watch the videos, just that.

Apple rejects the application with this non-sense message:

We found that your app provides a limited set of features and functionality to users and is therefore not appropriate for the App Store. We encourage you to review your app concept and evaluate whether you can incorporate additional features to enhance the user experience.

Man this is stupid.

What kind of functionality could one expect to add to a course application?

Looking at the 680 courses on the app store they provide exactly the same functionality as mine.

Look at this one for example:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/course-for-final-cut-pro-x-101-overview-and-quick-start-guide/id446934377?mt=12

and this one

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/course-for-intro-to-imovie/id733989909?mt=12

and this one

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/course-for-motion-5-101-overview-and-workflow-guide/id456069722?mt=12

they are all 3 buttons and that's it.

What users that download a course expect the app to do?

I mention the other courses to the review board and they pretend they do not hear what I say.

Man, what should I add? A button to dematerialize the user?

Replies

Well, Apple's acceptance of other apps has no bearing on what happens with your app. They're saying your app is too simple to be an iPhone app. It may be better suited as a web page.

Or an interactive ibook ...

This has happened to me before. Of course, sometimes there's a clear violation of a guideline, whether you agree with the guideline or not. Sometimes it seems like you just had bad luck and got a reviewer who is feeling picky or feels like they want to design your app (I think this may be an even bigger problem with games). Sometimes it seems they have a particular agenda. For example, years ago I used some popular middleware that would collect various feeds into an app, and for a while I had no problem getting them approved. But then they started cracking down on it with the non-enough-functionality citation (Flash is another example of middleware that they didn't want anyone using). The twist here is that this was right after they introduced Apple Maps and the reception was not good, so every time they rejected one of my apps, they said it doesn't have enough functionality, but if you add native iOS functionality like Apple Maps it may pass.

One thing I really don't like is that they have the bureaucratic (and admittedly human) tendency to never admit they're wrong. If I point out a clear mistake the app gets approved without any comment. Otherwise, sometimes they just keep picking on different things as if they really just don't want to approve the app (I recently gave up on a Mac App Store app after the reviewer said it needs a tutorial even though this was just an app update and the app already has on-screen instructions). These days, if it reaches the point I have to appeal to the review board, I just abandon the app. My experience in the worst case is they call me up to say I should redesign the app "from the ground up", and in the best case they insisted I'm wrong but they'll "let it go this time."

The most practical suggestion I can think of is to try adding some native functionality (like my experience with the Apple Maps campaign), especially something they're interested in promoting these days with iOS 11 coming out. Perhaps in-app purchases, subscriptions, text-to-speech...