Help with large sticker sequence

Hello,

My name is Dylan and I made some animated stickers in Motion following these instructions: https://developer.apple.com/support/stickers/motion/.

At first I made medium sized stickers but I got a warning message that "The sticker sequence "SEQUENCE NAME" cannot be larger than 512000 bytes, but it's XXXXXX bytes."

I changed to small size and one sticker sequence is fine (SA) while the other (SB) still generates the same error as above.

In SA, the individual files are 266 KB each and in SB they are 230 KB each.

Any ideas why one sequence works while the other does not?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of stupidraisins Down vote post of stupidraisins
2.7k views

Replies

On https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/extensions/messaging/ it says "For efficiency, each individual sticker may not exceed 500KB."

Does that mean the sticker sequence (all of the frames together) can NOT be bigger than 500KB or does that mean each frame can NOT be bigger than 500KB?

Maximum size apparently includes all of the frames together for each animated sticker.

I have found that in reality the total number of images in the animation cannot even come close to the guidelines 500kb maximum for all frames, so keep trimming down the size / number of images used in sequence, until it works (plays) in the simulation or on a device. Xcode will give an error message if the file size of each animated sticker sequence is exceeded. It puts a serious dent in quality of animations and is closer to 170kb - 200kb max.

Tried to file a bug report since the 500kb limit is not approachble or realistic (or maybe they forgot to let Xcode know about the 500kb maximum!) but got nowhere. To smooth out animation with fewer (and smaller size) images, try adjusting the duration length of play instead of frame rate per second. It is a problem that either needs to be address in Xcode maximum allowances for sticker sequences, or corrected in the stated maximum size in documentation. The two do not agree.

Bumping this up. The limit for image sequences is definitely less than a total 500kb for the sequence. I couldn't make a 450KB sequence work, after multiple steps I dropped it down to a 6-frame 83KB sequence and finally that did the trick.

I too would like to bump up this issue. 170kb is very very small. Too small to work with to have good quality animation. Please raise the maximum. Thank you.