Huge Issues With Keychain After GM Install

Installed the GM (never showed up as update so downloaded using tool from developer pages) but once it completed the install I now see a ton of pop up's stating '*** wants to use the "Local Items' keychain' and when I enter my password, won't accept it !

The update also seems to have wiped out my local mail settings, all accounts now missing as won't let things like notes, calendar update either.

Seeing access requests to Local Items keychain from the following as an example:

sharingd

cloudd

accountsd

ProtectedCloudKeySyncing

CDPD

Not sure what is going on as havent seen these issues with any of the dev beta's before this.

Also when I go into Keychain I see Local Items locked but when I click on it there are no options to unlock. Anyway I can try and restore keychain from a TM backup ?

I'm guessing this is related to iCloud as on my other machine there is no Local Items but instead iCloud. The problem is I can sign in and out of icloud but still the prompts remain. It won't let me enable iCloud Keychain as keepts prompting for a password for ProtectedCloudKeySyncing and never takes the password entered

Any thoughts on how to resolve ? THinking about getting a bug going as well

Thanks

Replies

Anyone else seeing these problems ? I have even blown away the install, wiped the drive, installed fresh (from USB) and then restored select files and it still kicks up these issues. Definitely appears to be iCloud keychain related but causing a ton of issues that were never seen in any beta to this point with High Sierra. Bug raised as well.

Yes, I didn't see GM Candidate in Mac App Store, went to Dev site. Downloaded the tool, it apparently reinstalled an early beta. Wiped the KeyChain stuff as you described. I created a new password and all was well. Except I didn't get the GM. Mac App Store showed an update, but it tuned out to be beta 9. So, I'll wait a while.

You’re not alone Wildcat_1. I used the link provided on the Apple Dev page to download the GM candidate on my 5k fusion drive iMac, and I’ve got about 5 prompts for me to enter my password for various items, all to no avail. I’m going to try troubleshooting with Keychain Access first before I wipe my computer and update this post after.

Seen this issue multiple times so for now I'm back at beta 9 until the GM is fixed which will hopefully be soon. I have bugs raised for this issue last week but have not seen any updates yet

This happened to me also but I think that the mess here was because an earlier beta installer was still on the iMac so I went backwards to an even earlier beta. Seems crazy that the beta tool would do this but it did. I decided to start afresh with a clean install, having good backups. This time the Dev site tool pointed at the GM in the App Store. All went well. Since then I have been carefully using Migration Assistant (eg migrating other Apps from a backup). Right now the GM is looking good from here.

Thanks @RyemnX, let me know how you get on. TBH a little concerned about trying it again after multiple attempts leading to this issue so far. Hopefully this may now be resolved and if don't hear back may try another re-install again in a few days.

Anyone had any successful updates that saw this issue before now the final has been released today ? TBH I'm concerned about trying to upgrade again due to the previous experience. Thanks for any updates you can share. Still not seen any movement with the bug filed on this.

Been an issue for much of the beta.

Turn off cloud key chain, and delete from HS.

Turn on cloud key chain and it will reload cleanly

In order for it to remain stable turn off the cloud key chain on any machines that run Sierra or earlier as continuing to sync to them occassionally re-breaks it.

In every case for me turn it off and back on cleans the corruptions it's just a PITA. Turning if off on the old OS seems to prevent the recurrance. I have 3 HS machine that share a keychain and it's been stable for 2 months.